New Brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan1980

Reaction score
Hi,
My name is Alan, an Englishman living in Germany. Living here I cant complain with the nice beers I have at my disposal, but with the "Reinheitsgebot" which keeps the beer pure and original I have a need to drink some beers that remind me of home. Therefore I have decided to brew my own. I have just started to gather the equipment I need, so will have a few questions I hope the experienced guys can help with. I hope to be able to brew a nice Scottish 80 Shilling beer. Can this beer be tricky or would it be an okay starting point for a novice?
Thanks,
Alan

hi alan1980 and welcome to the forum lucky bugger I love german beer !!!! I am into ipa style of beer (hoppy) myself but there will be guys/gals on the forum who will be able to help with yer 80 shilling beer I have no doubt,so good luck with it...:thumb:

Welcome Alan,

It's not a bad place to start, nice simple malt bill. It introduces some concepts that a lot of people may not pick up on as a beginner, but well worth learning. Have a read of the article that @JerryP linked.

My only concern would be temperature control.You'll need a way of keeping the fermentation temperature around 15-18°C. Scottish ales have a very low ester profile due to this cooler fermentation, as well as pitching more yeast than a standard ale. As far as yeast strain goes, two Sachets of Safale S-04 would keep it nice and clean at those temps.

I think US-05 might make the beer a little dry

Liquid yeasts are also an option, the best option being WLP028 or similar.

If you're doing all grain then you'll need to mash at high temps, 69-70°C so that the beer finishes sweet.

If extract then I would suggest adding some crystal/cara malts to add some body and stop it drying out too much.

That's my take on it anyway, I'm sure the fine folks of this forum may have some other advice. Best of luck!

A 70 or 80/- is quite straight forward.

Have a play on brewers friend (it's free for your first 5 saved recipes though you can edit them again...)

Generally Scottish ales get their malty sweetness from crystal malt(s) and/or a high mash temp and have very few hops for bittering.

Hi, thanks for all the positive messages to start with. Sounds like I will be having a go at the 80 shilling, but will do a bit of research first. I will definitely check out the article JerryP suggested. I am going straight in for all grain, after research and a one day brewing course at a brewery nearby (Barbarossa Brauerei) I liked the sound of the process and the mash etc. I have ordered an all grain kit for an IPA for my first brew, it is from a German online company www.amihopfen.de, they are actually only a few kilometres from my home, so I can pick up everything I order to save on delivery costs. The joy of German houses and the one we bought is that I have a cellar, that is where I am doing all the brewing, so keeping temperatures around 15-18 degrees for a 80 shilling fermentation might not be too difficult. I have a lot to learn, but I am in this for the long haul. Roll on Sunday when I start my first brew.
Alan

I had a squint on the net, I guess you are up near Frankfurt. I have been to the South, near Constance, on a number of occasions. Good luck with your Scottish brew ... the adventure starts here. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back