Beersmith and batch sparge help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbud78

Regular.
Reaction score
Can anyone help, its my first AG brew using a mash tun and I've programmed it into beer smith (first time using software) and reduced the quantity so I end up with 19L to fill a keg.

Do the numbers look about right ? I was surprised that the sparge uses more water than the initial mash.

To get 19L into Keg I've assumed :

1L loss in mash lauter, 2L Loss to Trub. Boil of rate at 11% and Efficiency at 70% using 5Kg Maris Otter.

So the numbers

Mash in with 12.83L water at 72.5C for 60 mins
Single Batch sparge of 18.89L @ 75.6C
Boil Size 25.72L
End of Boil Vol 22.92

Many thanks for any help :)

I boil outside and tend to lose a little more so need to top up in the fermenter (which is fine), I do 22.7ltr batches and tend to have ~6kg grain bills, 2*15-17ltrs strike plus sparge liquor volume, start of boil volume 28ltrs, so for for a 19ltr batch size your figures look about right to me too. Just monitor all the volumes going in and out for your first AG then adjust the equipment set-up in Beersmith as required.

Looks similar to my numbers for an eventual 19l in the keg, you can fill your mash tun over the filter with water, drain it then measure what's left for a more accurate loss

Edit - the tap on my boiler is also quite high up so my trub loss is a bit higher, you can work out loss volumes on the boiler with water using a similar technique

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not brew to 25 litres and then keg 19 litres and bottle the rest. You get more brew for the same amount of work and relatively speaking the losses when racking are reduced. I know it's not your original question but it's the sort of thing that I take into consideration.

Why not brew to 25 litres and then keg 19 litres and bottle the rest. You get more brew for the same amount of work and relatively speaking the losses when racking are reduced. I know it's not your original question but it's the sort of thing that I take into consideration.
That's what I'll be doing going forward but for this one it bought the grain bill down to 5kg and hops to 50g each. No unused ingredients

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

That's what I'll be doing going forward but for this one it bought the grain bill down to 5kg and hops to 50g each. No unused ingredients

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

sounds like a perfectly good reason to me.

Back