woodfords werry help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stan

Reaction score
this is my 3rd werry the first 2 were good but this one seems to be very flat and tastes very sour ( 3 bottles opened ) made up to 23l as per instructions no additions sanitation was good sg 1.44 fg 1.12 and primed bottles with 1/2 tsp brewers sugar, its been in the bottles for 4 weeks now the only thing i did notice was like an oily film on top of the brew after primary ( 13 days ) but this dissipated in the secondary vessel. This one is just about drinkable but not a patch on the other 2 i have made. any ideas as to what has gone wrong with this one.

thanks in advance

stan

Doesn't sound promising, Stan.

A 'film', as you've described it, could be an infection and if it tastes sour after 4 weeks I doubt it will go away. Sorry. The flatness is a separate matter.

Is it a vinegary smell/taste?

Hi
thanks for the reply, Yes it smells and tastes vinegary but not undrinkable i have brought it indoors from the garage to try and solve the carbonation problem

Did you give the bottles two weeks in the warm after adding the priming sugar before putting them out in the garage?

Some bacteria can produce waste products that would appear like a very thin film of oil on water surface.
:cheers:

yes bottles were left in warm for 2 weeks prior to cooling in garage, the oily film was on top after primary fermentation but after i transferred to secondary for bottling ( left for 3 days ) it seemed to be quite clear with no film on the top. I was just wondering what would cause a sour taste compared to the 2 previous werrys i have made. is its something i have done wrong or just bad luck. :wha:

Back