Youngs American IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

howyoubrewin

Regular.
Reaction score
Received a promo email from home brew online re the youngs american IPA and american cream ale. Has anyone tried either of these kits? A brief description on the e mail said that the IPA is in the style of goose island. I fancy trying on of these kits but at 30 quid after delivery i would like some opinions on them first.

I have picked one of these up but not started it yet. Bloke in lhbs recomended it. He had just got them in but had got a sample and said it was really good. Will let you know how good in a few months

I just started this kit today seems like a good quality kit. on a par with the bulldog evil dog i.p.a kit I have brewed previously. I have short brewed it to 21 litres and have a starting o.g of 1065 so should be around the 7% mark if I can get it down to 1010

Just got the APA on at the minute, and the Amber ale after I've finished the St. Peter's IPA. The 6.5% put me off slightly, as I do like to make my brews session able. But after realising you add sugar included to bump the ABV up, I may just add half of it or something? The amount of hops included is awesome! (100g in the amber ale!) looking forward to having all 3

I went for it today and purchased the american IPA. Fellow that owns the store said he was given a sample and it is akin to the sierra nevada. I am even more excited at the hop additions, chinook,centennial and simcoe..get in!! This was a last minute purchase as my lhbs didn't have ingredients for my brewdog punk ipa clone but this kit sounds pretty close to that anyway.
@ brew dawg,how you finding the four finger jack? It's a kit thats high on my wish list. Will watch with interest as the american ipa reviews roll in. Cheers!

@ brew dawg,how you finding the four finger jack? It's a kit thats high on my wish list. Will watch with interest as the american ipa reviews roll in. Cheers!

It's been in the bottle for just over 5 weeks now, had samples at 3 weeks and 4 weeks and it was still cloudy... a lot of yeast sediment in the bottle as it was a big bag with the kit (25g!)

Initially its quite fruity, grapefruit and citrusy notes and very, very smooth... lacks the bitterness but i'm hoping the longer I leave it the better it will mature... difference between 3 week and 4 week sample was huge so this weekend should be great!

I would let it ferment for at least 18 days and then move to secondary for a week with hop tea bags for it to clear and be less cloudy.

I try leave my brews in the bottle for a month before any mass consumption! (easier said than done!)

It's been in the bottle for just over 5 weeks now, had samples at 3 weeks and 4 weeks and it was still cloudy... a lot of yeast sediment in the bottle as it was a big bag with the kit (25g!)

Initially its quite fruity, grapefruit and citrusy notes and very, very smooth... lacks the bitterness but i'm hoping the longer I leave it the better it will mature... difference between 3 week and 4 week sample was huge so this weekend should be great!

I would let it ferment for at least 18 days and then move to secondary for a week with hop tea bags for it to clear and be less cloudy.

I try leave my brews in the bottle for a month before any mass consumption! (easier said than done!)

sounds awesome! That grapefruit/fruity hop profile is exactly what i like in my beers so it sounds like a beer i would enjoy. Let us know how week 5 tasting goes.

If anyone is interested, this kit contains 20g yeast and 100g of assorted hop pellets sealed in 1 convenient package. It also comes with priming sugar in its own bag, pitching sugar in its own bag and finally 3kg of malt extract, again in a sealed plastic bag. The instructions look decent too. This kit appears more premium than the evil dog i have just brewed. I will be pitching it tomorrow morning.

My LHBS recommends fermenting at 16-18C: no more, no less. I can't fathom if this ruly necessary or just his way of promoting the sale of brew belts as we near summer?! Any thoughts?

Yes, the hops are for dry hopping. The instructions state that the hop pellets come in a bag, so you just chuck them into FV when you fancy.

It will remain at 20-21 degrees for the next 3 weeks where I will then bottle prime and leave for a further 3 weeks. I will keep you posted, I have yet to take OG reading too.

Getting this on the go today...any advice on fermenting temp. I'm able to keep brews between 17c-19c, but will struggle to get the 20c-24c it says in the instructions.
I guess I'll just have to wait a little longer for it to be ready?
OG was 1055, so with expected FG of 1007, looking at 6.4%

Hi mate, I struggled with constant temps for the longest time until I bought a 25w aquarium heater from amazon for £7.50, best money I've spent in a while.
I simply drilled a hole (20mm) and used a white nylon/cable stuffing gland to seal cable.
My fv now just sits in the shed with a foil blanket round it.
Only problem is summers coming !!! Have to stock up and get brewing.
Cheers

Hi fellas/gals, after 13 days in the fermenter and 7 days in the bottle I just had to crack a bottle of this brew open and ooooh yeah baby the hop aroma hits you in the coupon the minute you pop the cap. Very very akin to a brewdog IPA in the aroma department. Strong, fruity, citrusy aroma. Nice clean white 1 finger head with lacing all the way to the bottom of the glass. Rich golden in colour,slightly darker than i expected and has cleared beautifully. Taste wise it is just friggin awesome!! Malty, great body and a nice hoppy kick that leaves a nice bitter kick in the after taste. All this from a week in the bottle tells me that after a month or so this will be a very impressive beer! Big thumbs up!

Latest posts

Back