Burco Boiler mod

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did my first brew with my new 30 ltr Burco Cygnet (and immersion chiller). Brilliant piece of kit and very handily setting 3 is mash temp, and 4 is sparge. The combination of boiler and chiller saved at least an hour on the brew time.

One thing, though, is the boil is very aggressive and I lost a lot of the boil to evaporation. I'm thinking I could fit some kind of variable resistor so that I can make it so it boils less viciously. Anybody out there done something similar ?

thumb2_img-20150501-00638-105.jpg

OK. So I've modded it :cool:

I used a universal simmerstat - £15, very expensive knob - £5 and some spade connectors.

Before the mod :-

thumb2_before-119.jpg

(Live going straight to the element)

After :-

thumb2_after-120.jpg

New control on the left :-

thumb2_control-121.jpg

The whole thing :-

boiler-122.jpg

Basically you put the wires from either end of the element into the output of the simmerstat and then put new leads from the input of the simmerstat to where the other wires used to be (the main live in and neutral from the thermostat). Had to check the as-is a couple of times as it is switched on the neutral side not live side, i.e. it is being switched after the element not before. I thought I was getting it wrong. Must be OK to do this as it is enclosed.

Tested it with 4 litres. I think its going to be around a 4.5 setting to get a tamed boil.

A very useful and clear 'how to'. I'm thinking of getting one of these to make the AG quicker and easier. I am finding that even doing small 10 litre brews on the stove top takes an age of waiting about for temperatures to reach the right level. I have an electric ceramic hob and I don't think there is good enough contact between the depression on most of the bottom of my pot and the ceramic hob. There is a saucer sized dent in the pot base which is 2 or 3 mm off the hob. Waiting adds ages to brew times. The Burco way looks very attractive.

Ive got one of these, well a much older version i think. When i got it home i filled it up and put it to boil, left it 15m and when i checked it was boiling away like crazy. I don't have such a nice looking tap as your though. What size chiller are you using with it? I think mine boiler is 30l if filled to the top. Your mod looks cool by the way, thanks for sharing.

Sorry Tony and BeerCat. I think some of my posts go missing (maybe I'm not actually pressing submit) as I thought I'd replied on the day.

Tony, I had problems with ceramic hubs, apparently the bottoms are designed to be concave until they are hot then the deform out. Might be worth putting boiling water from the kettle in to the pot to start it off ?

BeerCat, yes mines a 30 litre. The tap came as complete set from the home brew shop. When I priced up the individual parts it was almost the same so I bought the kit (there is a bazooka hop strainer on the inside that I keep just finger tight so I can take it off for cleaning). Not sure of the dimensions for the chiller a picture of it is in the first post. Got it off eBay, I can post the link if you want.

No problem i think i also keep forgetting to press submit. :)
I am also using an old pot that isn't flat on the bottom. Luckily my induction hob does not seem to mind.
My burco must be at least 40 years old so reckon gonna get my mate to rewire it for me and mod it like yours at the same time.
A few questions if you dont mind. I am going to make my own chiller to save some cash. Wickes sell 10m x 10mm copper tube on a roll for £20.99. Is 10mm suitable?
Are you doing BIAB in the burco or mashing in a separate container? If your using BIAB can you recommend a bag please? Was going to use a pillow case but after searching online seems not to be the best idea and my homebrew shop only had tiny bags.
Also i guess if i were to use the bazooka hop strainer i would need to replace the original tap. Is that difficult or would i be better just drilling a hole and having 2 taps?
Thanks and hope i don't sound too dense lol. :)

No problem i think i also keep forgetting to press submit. :)
I am also using an old pot that isn't flat on the bottom. Luckily my induction hob does not seem to mind.
My burco must be at least 40 years old so reckon gonna get my mate to rewire it for me and mod it like yours at the same time.
A few questions if you dont mind. I am going to make my own chiller to save some cash. Wickes sell 10m x 10mm copper tube on a roll for £20.99. Is 10mm suitable?
Are you doing BIAB in the burco or mashing in a separate container? If your using BIAB can you recommend a bag please? Was going to use a pillow case but after searching online seems not to be the best idea and my homebrew shop only had tiny bags.
Also i guess if i were to use the bazooka hop strainer i would need to replace the original tap. Is that difficult or would i be better just drilling a hole and having 2 taps?
Thanks and hope i don't sound too dense lol. :)

Used it in anger tonight with a 10 litre brew. Lot happier with an intermittent boil than a continuous rage. Shame it's not a continuous steady boil, but definitely better.

I do BIAB now. Tonight for the 10 litre I used a bought 26cm mash bag. The draw string fitted perfectly over the rim of the boiler so it stayed open until I'd finished putting all the grains in. For bigger brews I use my home made mash bag which I made out of a voile remnant from a market. Just stitch up the side, put a cord through the top and tie some cord round the bottom.

I started a thread about my BIAB no-sparge, the mash bag is one page 2 :-

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=53517&page=2

The chiller I bought uses 10mm copper.

Fitting a ball tap is a piece of proverbial. Just undo the one thats fitted and replace with the new one. No drilling or anything.

Thanks for this.I picked up a 13 litre Vonshef boiler from car boot on Sunday.The git told me it was was working 100%.It isn`t but I tracked the problem down to a blown thermal fuse,so I`m waiting on a new 1 to arrive.
It`ll be perfect for a 10 litre brew or to heat up sparge water in my 33 litre Peco.

I inherited this from my Father, its probably 40 years old but looks good as new under the hood. When i first turned it on yesterday was a really nice rolling boil then it kept cutting out so had to give up and transfer to pans.
I was under the impression the cut off was a separate unit but it seems to be part of the switch. Made In England as well, you don't see that much anymore sadly.
Am i right in thinking there is a pot "LOAD A" i can adjust for the cut off temp?

20150908_091347.jpg

20150908_090749.jpg

Its working. Had to give it a quarter turn clockwise and all is good again. 3rd time lucky, cheap repair.

Sorry BeerCat, I knew someone had posted a question and I couldn't remember which thread it was. Glad you're sorted now.

Mine cut out 59 minutes into a 60 minute boil last weekend (which is fine). I think it is because the wort gets more concentrated it boils at above 100 degrees so it cuts out.

No problem always doing the same myself. :)
Just done a brew last night and it cut out around 50mins in and when i turned it back on i noticed an almost surging boil not a strong steady one. Gradually picked up though. Have still not acquired enough skill to judge if have enough evaporation or too little but would be great to have it under proper control. Have to take it apart tomorrow and adjust it again. Fingers crossed if not i need a replacement part. Would this be suitable? Cheers http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SS02-UNIVERSAL-SIMMER-STAT-ENERGY-REGULATOR-CONTROLS-FOR-COOKER-RINGS-OVEN-RANGE-/131380630196?hash=item1e96e552b4

No problem always doing the same myself. :)
Just done a brew last night and it cut out around 50mins in and when i turned it back on i noticed an almost surging boil not a strong steady one. Gradually picked up though. Have still not acquired enough skill to judge if have enough evaporation or too little but would be great to have it under proper control. Have to take it apart tomorrow and adjust it again. Fingers crossed if not i need a replacement part. Would this be suitable? Cheers http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SS02-UNIVERSAL-SIMMER-STAT-ENERGY-REGULATOR-CONTROLS-FOR-COOKER-RINGS-OVEN-RANGE-/131380630196?hash=item1e96e552b4

I originally fitted one like that but I've recently switched to a solid state relay like in this thread :-

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=55415

I know this is an old thread. But Ive been searching the forum looking for ideas for my AG set up I want. This Bruco has just ticked all the boxes. Im planning on getting 2 thanks to this thread.

Cheers
John

Latest posts

Back