Brewing equipment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobmac

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am interested in buying a brewing system, and have been looking at the Grainfather and the Brewster.
Has anyone got any advice / tips regarding this type of equipment?

Thanks

Bobmac

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Interesting stuff.
It seems to me that both the Grainfather and the Braumeister are good bits of kit, but I suppose it comes down to the old truth that you get what you pay for?
Any thoughts on the best type of fermentation vessel to use with these systems?

A good quality fermenter with a well sealed lid. I tend to go for a fermenter with a tap on it. That way I can take samples to test the gravity easily during fermentation.

I agree - being able to snare a sample easily is really helpful especially if, like me, you are paranoid and need proof that the yeast is still doing what it has done for thousands of years...

Hoddy, I see from other conversations that you've been looking at buying a BM - did you take the plunge?
I'm leaning towards getting a BM - just wrestling with my financial conscience :)

Bob Mac if you are in any doubt whatsoever if a braumeister is not the best long term investment you can make. And if the price is represented in the sheer quality of the thing then just look at then video on my channel here. https://youtu.be/qRVYJEE4JUk

I bought the 20L for recipe development for a business venture I'm working on and I have been nothing but impressed with it. Seriously you could buy one of these and NEVER have to buy any more boiling/mashing equipment ever again.

And the old line "it takes the skill and pleasure out of it" I don't get. As you will see in my other videos (and more coming) you can quite easily fcuk it up like anything else. It just means you have slightly more time to concentrate on producing top quality beer. And when you've got a recipe boy does it become repeatable. Because hey that's what we all want. Repeatable great beer.

In short I love it. And if you go to brewuk and collect/pay cash like I did Greg will do you a mega discount/deal.

With the fermenter I have just gone for something that you feel good about. As in it feels representative of the price you pay for it. Too many fermenters are expensive and flimsy in my option. This one I have been buying recently from the home brew shop for £14 including bottom tap and air lock. Does me nicely (saison bubbling away nicely)View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453240802.035655.jpg

I've read that the GF pump can get clogged up with hops, is this the case with the BM too?

There is a video on you tube comparing the two with side by side brews

Interesting that cheapbrew. Thanks for the link.

Now..... how much would buying one of these add to the per-pint cost of my beer?

Would it make my beer taste better?

I can see the attraction. These things look REALLY nice.

Do I need one?

............... Not just now anyway.

Reddarren - no the braumeister pump doesn't get clogged at all. Because it take some control for you the pump stops on the run up to boiling at 88oc. That way hops never get anywhere near the pump, and TBH you don't need a pump at that point. And you have the bottom tap to empty it. Unlike the GF where you rely on the pump for chilling and emptying.

I went for the grainfather, and not regretting it so far. I guess both systems do a similar job, but the Brewster seemed to have lots of pipework connections to go wrong, and I preferred the grainfather's recirculating system, and having a top plate to sparge onto looked like it would keep the grain bed integrity better as a filter. I may be wrong but its working for me. My only difficulty has been adjusting recipes to allow for the units very high efficiency! I've had no problem with the pump clogging, and hops have been straight into the wort for the boil, maybe the new filter helps.

I've never actually sat down and worked it out but beer smith has consistently told me I'm getting around 80-82% most of the time. I bank on a min of 75%. I guess it's because both systems have that constant recirculating through the grains rather than just sitting in it with occasional stirring.

Grainfather at hoodbrewsupplies.co.uk and HBF members get 5% discount and they give free delivery on Grainfathers

BrewerStew - is there a voucher code for the discount l'm just perusing their site for a new fermenter and luckily stumbled accross your info.

Latest posts

Back