To Corny or to not? That is the question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo100

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I used to use these forums quite a lot, but haven't brewed in a couple of years. Mainly because I didn't have time with all my other hobbies. The thing that stopped my was the time it took to sterilise and fill all the bottles. I know it only takes a couple of hours, but it just became a blocker for me.

Anyway, I ended up doing a brewday today, and plan another one in a couple of weeks, so think I will get back into it. With this in mind, I was thinking I might go down the Corny Keg route, to reduce the time spent bottling, and had a couple of questions.

1) Does using a Corny save a huge amount of time over bottles, or is it just a different type of cleaning?

2) I was looking at various options of buying the individual items from eBay etc, but then I saw this, which looks like reasonable value. Is this the going rate for a Corny, or can I get things cheaper elsewhere. (http://www.kegkingdom.co.uk/collect...dard-cornelius-keg-kit-with-party-tap-and-co2)

3) That kit includes a CO2 canister. Is this a standard size that I will be able to get easily refilled, or am I getting something that I can never fill and will have to bin?

Thanks

Robbo100

I've switched to cornies. Mine was a full kit but it uses soda stream co2 canisters, probably not the cheapest but you can get refills from Argos.

Cleaning takes about 5 minutes - pour in some star San, stick your arm in and remove any debris if there is any, rinse with more star San. Then give it a bit of pressure and empty the dregs through the dispenser to clean that.

Carbonation is the real time saver. I cold crash to 3 degrees and fill at that temperature. Carbonation then takes 15 minutes instead of two weeks :-)

I've got three cornies now.

1) Does using a Corny save a huge amount of time over bottles, or is it just a different type of cleaning?
Hell Yeh

2) I was looking at various options of buying the individual items from eBay etc, but then I saw this, which looks like reasonable value. Is this the going rate for a Corny, or can I get things cheaper elsewhere. (http://www.kegkingdom.co.uk/collect...dard-cornelius-keg-kit-with-party-tap-and-co2)
They are way cheaper here + you get forum discount

3) That kit includes a CO2 canister. Is this a standard size that I will be able to get easily refilled, or am I getting something that I can never fill and will have to bin?
Try to locate something locally thinking out of the box hydroponics suppliers often do biggish bottle at reasonable prices.

PS nearly all my brews go in Cornies.

I switched to a 3 keg system last year after 4 years of bottling.It`s a godsend(along with Starsan).I was lucky with my kegs and CO2(can`t go into detail) but my regulator was £20 new off Ebay and about £10 for the picnic tap.I usually brew around 23 litres so I can bottle a few for travelling.No rinsing and cleaning after every drink,just wash and sanitise the keg when empty and it`s ready for the next batch.
I don`t know how much a CO2 cylinder is but you can get used cornies frohttps://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/a-used-corny-keg-19lt-ball-lock-p-2870.htmlm for E37.75

Looks like a good deal. Just be sure you know of somewhere to fill the tank; that's the difficult part. I found a place where I paid once for a deposit on the tank, then pay only for the CO2 on refill. I return with an empty tank, and they replace with a full one for the price of the CO2 only.

I have a 5kg tank, lasts about 1 year, and just been pondering about a 10kg one. The price for 10kg CO2 is only slightly more than for 5kg, much better value in kg terms, but I'd have to up my tank deposit, and find space. 2kg is on the small side.

You'll get bored with a party tap quite quickly. It's feasible if you use sufficient length of 3/16 beer line, say 3 meters. It won't come with that, so expect to have to sort that out.

Also think about chilling. Bottles fit easily in your fridge; a cornie requires a dedicated fridge.

Cleaning is easier than bottles, but still quite a routine. If done properly you must rinse, clean & sanitise, but as you must push each stage through the dip pipe and beer line, each step requires you seal, pressurise and push.

All said, I have 3 cornies and an instant beer chiller, and would never bottle 23 litres. I have to bottle 8 pints as a cornie doesn't fit 23 litres, and even that is a big faff.

So, it sounds like I am not crazy for considering it. I suppose it comes down to the total cost, and the cost of the CO2 is a bit of an unknown.

I have found this supplier: http://www.adamsgas.co.uk/product/carbon-dioxode-co2-gas-refill-6-35kg-trade-only/

They seem to have a couple of places within about 16 miles of my house and the gas is only £13 for 6.35 Kg, which is a result. However, the deposit on the bottle is £55!

All-in, I expect this is going to cost something in the region of £120 all told, to get up and running. And then I expect I will likely then get carried away and want some fancy taps :-)

Hmmm. I suppose that sort of money equates to the saving on about 4 brews of beer (from buying it in the shop), so it will pay for itself fairly quickly...

Are you anywhere near Salisbury? Air Liquide in Old Sarum do 6.35kg cylinders for about 14 quid - no deposit required.

I use corneys and bottles. Damn sight easier to take bottles around to a mates house.....

get a carbonation cap and some 2 litre bottles.....nice brite beer from corny and easy to move about....

and cheaper than a beer gun

Ha, I used to live IN Salisbury - but that was 10 years ago, and I am now on the other side of the country :-)

get a carbonation cap and some 2 litre bottles.....nice brite beer from corny and easy to move about....

and cheaper than a beer gun

I think my nuts would end up in a vice if I spent any more money on beer kit for a while......

ha ive actually been quite good this month....4 packs of yeast and a couple of hundred crown caps...

Well, my gas problem (it sounds like I need to go to the doctors), is solved.

I spoke to my local landlady and she is going to lend me a bottle!

RESULT! - This makes it all much more affordable!

Well, my gas problem (it sounds like I need to go to the doctors), is solved.

I spoke to my local landlady and she is going to lend me a bottle!

RESULT! - This makes it all much more affordable!

Happy days! I always knew there were more than a couple of reasons to love a landlady....

So, all told, I think it will come out at £123 (plus a bit of postage) with bits bought from The Homebrew Company and Ebay (including the gas), to get a single tap kegerator (I already have the fridge, which is my Fermenting Fridge, which I will then re-role when I have done the brewing.

Back