Temp Control for Non DIYers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halfacrem

Landlord.
Reaction score
Brewing is a great hobby for all those handy DIYers, prepared to put in the time and effort to build their own Mash Tuns, Immersion Chillers, fit brew kettles with sight glasses and ball valves etc etc

I am not one of those people. I have little to no interest in being handy. The downside of this, of course, is that people like me have to pay a little more for the privilege of someone else putting something together and flogging it. I'm OK with that. I know my limitations :)

Which is why I'm quite pleased to come across the following. A brew fridge is a natural progression down this never ending pathway. However pushing bits of wire through rubber grommets, stabbing myself with a miniature screw driver (after searching high and low for it because I haven't used it for 10 Years and then giving up and going to B&Q to buy a new one) and then risking burning down my garage after failing to read a wiring diagram, is not my idea of fun..

Yes it costs more than trailing ebay for all the individual components, but for us DIY phobes..

http://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=951

Thats just the controller though, you will still need to source the fridge and a heater to go into the fridge (so you can heat as well as cool) and then install it all.

You will still be needing to find your screwdriver, and pushing wires in and out of the fridge unfortunately.

Not saying its not a decent controller (I am a big fan of the malt miller), but it is just the controller.

Thats just the controller though, you will still need to source the fridge and a heater to go into the fridge (so you can heat as well as cool) and then install it all.

You will still be needing to find your screwdriver, and pushing wires in and out of the fridge unfortunately.

Not saying its not a decent controller (I am a big fan of the malt miller), but it is just the controller.

Granted, but plugging in a heating device and a fridge and poking a wire into it is far closer to my skill levels that manufacturing a (potentially deadly) electronic device :)

Granted, but plugging in a heating device and a fridge and poking a wire into it is far closer to my skill levels that manufacturing a (potentially deadly) electronic device :)

Gotcha, I was just making the point that some DIY is still required to fit the heater into the fridge etc.

If 'messing' with electrical connections in a project box isn't your thing then that does look like a very programmable controller.

Are you setting up a brew fridge then ? Would love one myself but need to seriously re-arrange/sort the garage to create the space. Thats my struggle !

I agree, when I kept fish, the wiring up of one of these always put me off buying one.

Is it any different to the ITC-308?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, when I kept fish, the wiring up of one of these always put me off buying one.

Yes - it's more expensive. Doesn't have alarms on it, from the quick look I just had, and to be honest, doesn't look as good.

From the description on the maltmiller one it suggests its very programmable, so you can set it to ferment at one temp for 2 weeks then cold crash at a different temp for a period. Unless you are away on holiday not sure thats a big advantage.

I believe the ITC-308 is more of a set the current temp and it will hold it there, which for most is all they need I would guess.

Not got either one myself so maybe I should let others who have used either one confirm this subtle distinction :lol:

An inkbird itc 308 would do the same job and much cheaper. A brew fridge is easy to make. You will need to botch together a shelve, 23l of wort can be heavy

Oooh, nice one. I didn't realise there were other alternatives to the DIY route.

From the description on the maltmiller one it suggests its very programmable, so you can set it to ferment at one temp for 2 weeks then cold crash at a different temp for a period. Unless you are away on holiday not sure thats a big advantage.

I believe the ITC-308 is more of a set the current temp and it will hold it there, which for most is all they need I would guess.

Not got either one myself so maybe I should let others who have used either one confirm this subtle distinction :lol:

The different temps for different periods struck me as being quite useful. TBH, I thought the only real alternative was an adapted STC-1000, but clearly not.

Hi, if someone here need a programmable temperature controller & timer, I recommend ITC-310T. You can set 6 temperatures in 6 periods of time.
The link for your reference.:)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019Q3K4EI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Hi, if someone here need a programmable temperature controller & timer, I recommend ITC-310T. You can set 6 temperatures in 6 periods of time.
The link for your reference.:)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019Q3K4EI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It is showing as currently unavailable, not known when it will be back in stock?

For a complete idiot at that sort of thing how does the inkbird work? do you still need to do DIY wiring or something? It looks like you plug them in and attach the probe but it must be more than that surely..

No, it really is as simple as it looks. Plug it into the mains, set your desired temperature and when you want your heater/cooler to come on/go off, plug your heater and cooler into the ITC sockets, job done.

No, it really is as simple as it looks. Plug it into the mains, set your desired temperature and when you want your heater/cooler to come on/go off, plug your heater and cooler into the ITC sockets, job done.

That sounds really good actually.. not something I need now as such but I may invest in a fridge in the future for things like crashing and what not it will make it a bit easier

That sounds really good actually.. not something I need now as such but I may invest in a fridge in the future for things like crashing and what not it will make it a bit easier

I have wired up two STCs for my brew fridges - I now have an ITC-308. Wish I had found them sooner. Now considering a 310 so I can step mash.....

For a complete idiot at that sort of thing how does the inkbird work? do you still need to do DIY wiring or something? It looks like you plug them in and attach the probe but it must be more than that surely..

Hello, ITC-308/ ITC-308S are pre-wired temperature controllers, no need to wire them yourself. You just need to plug in and set the temperature you need, them it works. While our ITC-1000 is a DIY thermostat.

Here's a user manual for your reference: httpink-bird.comassetfileITC-308%20V2.1%20EN.pdf

I have to agree with the guys above, the Inkbird controller is cheaper and dose pretty much everything you need and is a good quality product! Its also really easy to use! Would recomend for anyone!

Back