Sainsburys Taste the Difference IPA - 5.9%

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spapro

Reaction score
After a short break in home brewing and my stocks depleted I have had to buy a few beers recently :-x, every cloud has a silver lining though and this is bit of a gem I have found.

Has anyone else tried it ?

It is superb, very nicely balanced with a warmth, verging almost on spicyness. Reminds me a lot of a Jaipur IPA I had recently at a posh Indian restaurant in London.

Packs a punch at 5.9% abv and although not the 30p a pint we are home brewing at is pretty good value for a bought beer at £1.60 per 500ml bottle.

This is available in our tiny Sainsburys local, which has a pretty limited beers range.

Here it is being modelled by my favourite glass of the moment, bought off ebay last week (the glass that is).

Sainsburys IPA.jpg

looks nice. nice and hoppy I hope. I always feel a bit cheated when an IPA isn't . the closest hoppy bottled beer I've tasted is the adnams ghost ship.

ill have to try one

looks nice. nice and hoppy I hope. I always feel a bit cheated when an IPA isn't . the closest hoppy bottled beer I've tasted is the adnams ghost ship.

ill have to try one

Its really worth a try, very, very good indeed.

I have googled Jaipur IPA, as I had one in an indian restaurant a little while back and thought this Sainsburys IPA tasted very similar indeed.

I have come across this Jaipur IPA from Thornbridge Brewery which gets very good reviews:
http://www.thornbridgebrewery.co.uk/product.php?s=jaipur

Interestingly the Thornbridge IPA is also 5.9% abv which is the same as the Sainsburys IPA - I wonder if this is the exact same stuff ?

EDIT: Checked the back of the Sainsburys bottle last night and as someone else mentioned the bottle does say in small lettering 'Brewed by Marstons Brewery', so its not the Thornbridge Jaipur IPA.

it could well be. I know shepherds neame do the extra special bottles for Asda that are clones of they're own.

Its one of my go to beers if nothing else looks good, would say its very nice but nothing special, if I remeber correctly it says on the bottle its made by marstons and also confirms the fuggles golding and cascade. My local sainsburies does St Austell proper job which is much better but £2 bottle when its 4 for £5 at ASDA.

Will have to try St Austell proper job and Lagunitas IPA, both sound delish

I was a bit disappoint in the sainsburys IPA IMHO. I thought it was a bit forgettable.

The st Austell is ok. But again I think it's a bit of a real ales attempt at being a craft beer.

Whereas Lagunitas IPA is really good. For something that is so strong it's very well crafted, and carries through on its malt/hops promises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say Sainsburys IPA is fairly well hopped proper job is very well hopped and lagunitas is totally over hopped, nice but far from balanced.

Will have to try St Austell proper job and Lagunitas IPA, both sound delish

St Austell's BIG job is lush, everything is pumped up over it's proper job, abv :grin: hops :grin::grin: and price :-( £2.29 ish in Tesco

Although i've not yet made a succesful dipa yet to save me shelling out for them :oops:

My wife picked me up a bottle of this from sainsburys. Thought it was a bit plain for my current tastes. When I read it had cascade I got a little excited but got no hint of it. I would drink it again if given to me but just poured a bottle of shepherd neame's Indian pale ale from lidl and it's much nicer.

Sorry to resurrect old thread, but would love o brew something like that.

Is there any way to reverse engineer it to a recipe, AG I mean.
Maine questions about hops - 10 min boil, flame out or dry hop?

I think the Sainsbury ipa in the op is 'old empire' by marstons, as previously mentioned. Currently available in aldi for around £1.29.

I noticed in our little Sainsbury they now have 500ml bottles of 'Czech pilsner', which looks to be relabelled staropramen, but works out cheaper than the branded 660ml bottles they also stock.

Back