Four fingered jack

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrissparky

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi
Started this off last night. I added a brupak flavour pak.( some hops and grain tea bags) let's see how it goes!!
Bubbling nicely today. Anyone else used this kit?

I am making this now .. added 250 gr light malt, 300 gr of sugar and i added the hops that came with thethe kit to bitterhop ..

Hi
Started this off last night. I added a brupak flavour pak.( some hops and grain tea bags) let's see how it goes!!
Bubbling nicely today. Anyone else used this kit?
Brewed this on 1st January, pretty much as per instructions, so it is currently cold conditioning in my garage. Fermented at 23C for 2 weeks (transferred to a clean FV half way through), 2 weeks in the bottle at 23C and planning to wait for 6-8 weeks in my garage before cracking one open.

OG 1.052, FG 1.007, so expecting ABV to be 5.9% rather than the projected 4.6%.

Looking forward to the end of March! :drink:

Why we add extra's to this kit is to give it more taste or flavour or abv and even bitterness ... nothing wrong with that, i always dry hop with at least 4gr/liter .. with different hops than the ones that came with the kit :-) .. so much better in taste! Kit beers are too standard , my opinion ....

Great Aphid, nice high abv % ! What did you do to boost up abv and sg? What ingredients did you add?

Great Aphid, nice high abv % ! What did you do to boost up abv and sg? What ingredients did you add?
Maybe I would try adapting the kit if I had made it previously but I just used the kit as it was and followed instructions to the letter. No extras. No secret.

That said, my temperatures were a little higher than expected in the instructions (25C?) so there was frantic activity with extra vigorous stirring in a bath of cold water to bring it down. Maybe that was it. Lots of aeration before pitching the yeast and starting temperature at the upper limit. I do tend to overdo the stirring bit to be honest, as my arms will testify. :lol: As far as priming is concerned, I always dissolve my sugar in a little boiled water before adding to my bottling bucket, stir in gently then go...

Wow, what a difference in abv, i think this has nothing to do with your arms or the yeast adding temperature ;-) .. i'll keep you updated also .. i added 250 gr light malt, 500 gr of dextrose , and boiled the hops from the kit 60 min. .. if i am correct the 2 bags hops from the kit are aprox. 6 ounces , should give me an Ebu of 80 ! So bitter i guess :-) , i dry hop with el dorado, cascade and mosaic hops (total of 80 gr!) .. or should i use citra? ;-) .. please help to give descent brew .. someone? :-P (3th bulldog brew this one)

I dry-hopped with cascade, amarillo and citra .. hopefully this will turn out quite nice. ..

Wow, what a difference in abv, i think this has nothing to do with your arms or the yeast adding temperature ;-) .. i'll keep you updated also .. i added 250 gr light malt, 500 gr of dextrose , and boiled the hops from the kit 60 min. .. if i am correct the 2 bags hops from the kit are aprox. 6 ounces , should give me an Ebu of 80 ! So bitter i guess :-) , i dry hop with el dorado, cascade and mosaic hops (total of 80 gr!) .. or should i use citra? ;-) .. please help to give descent brew .. someone? :-P (3th bulldog brew this one)

I mean almost 2 ounces!!! (Hop from bags) :-) lol

I added the dry hops 2 days ago, should it be 2 quick to bottle the brew allready? I could do this also on friday, then they are sitting 4 days ..

I added the dry hops 2 days ago, should it be 2 quick to bottle the brew allready? I could do this also on friday, then they are sitting 4 days ..
The instructions (for their craft beers, like Four Finger Jack) is to add the hops 1-2 days before bottling. I did 2 days before bottling. Then two weeks warm conditioning, 6-8 weeks cold. I have just started drinking mine and the beer is awesome. So I would suggest sticking to their guidelines.

Thnx Aphid! I did bottle it today allready! I will check this one after 1 month for co2 ;-) , cheers!

Latest posts

Back