Festive spirit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whilst rummaging in my kitchen herb box earlier I found a box of mulled tea bags.....

Feel a batch of this coming on ... surely you can drink mulled cider in the summer ... ?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect I will still be going on my Christmas batch in the summer.....I also have about 3litres of the cider I made from apples last autumn. I have been undisciplined and drunk too much before it is fully matured. I want to save at least a bit until spring to see how much it improves....... but we will see how that goes...

but joking apart - I am saving my spare box of mulled tea bags to ensure I have some available for August when I brew up the Christmas batch. That said I'm sure theyd be available online all year round.

didn't get around to brewing another batch this summer, and now need my equipment for the proper apple based cider.....never mind.....mulled cider with ginger will probably get made later this year....

but.....

Having left it for months I had some of the mulled cider I made last October this weekend and if anything it had improved. Still strong and spicy but quite a bit smoother. I'll finish it off this Christmas.....

bumping this - cant believe its been 5 years - I am going to have a fair bit of juice this summer so I will do one 5 litre DJ of this, with ginger added....

A timely bump. I have mulled wine bags in the cupboard, empty demijohns sitting looking bored next to me. Sounds like a trip to Lidl for some apple juice is called for.

I made a spiced cider for Xmas last year loosely based on this recipe: Spicy Blackcurrant Cider (Christmas special)

I did a few things different. I reduced the amount of cloves as it had been reported that they were a bit overpowering. I also happened to have a bottle of caramel sugar syrup lying around also a bit past its best before but that sort of stuff doesn't really go off so I lobbed that it at the start to bump up the final ABV. Finally once brewed it went into a corny keg and was force carbonated. To reduce the dryness a bit when serving I added a glug of Monin Winter Spice syrup to the glass before pouring, also needed a little stir after to mix as the syrup is quite dense.

End result it was absolutely superb, all you'd want from an Xmas themed cider. I always drank it chilled but I suspect it would be quite nice warmed up too with a splash of brandy added to replace any alcohol lost when heating 😁

was doing a major press today (60 litres) so devoted 8 litres to this. Boiled up 2 L of juice with 4 mulled wine bags, ginger, orange zest and a cinnamon stick. Added pectolase and chalk to the juice. Will add yeast tomorrow and aim to get it bottled by early November - then it should be all cleared for December drinking......
20220911_154127 by MattH3764, on Flickr

20220911_170149 by MattH3764, on Flickr

transferred this from the cracked fermenting bin to a secondary carboy today. In 9 days it had fermented all the way, and it tastes smooth with just a nice hint of christmas spice. Will bottle in a month or so and really look forward to drinking in Dec
20220921_112222 by MattH3764, on Flickr

some of this was left over for this christmas, I finished the last of it yesterday - still delicious and nice to drink in the Christmas week - goes very well with cold turkey. I will try to do another batch next summer - I think I might be bolder on the orange and ginger as the spice flavours were quite subtle.

Back