Yeast and final strengh question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RexBanner

Reaction score
Eyup all,
I have a question regardibg different types of yeast. I am collecting ingrediants to make home made ginger beer (23L of it) and will be using 2kg of table sugar and 500g of light brown sugar for primary fermentation.
Ide like the final strengh to be about 5% and am using a sachet of wilko gervin yeast. My concern is that the yeast wont be able to handle all that sugar. So another optuon i've heard is to use wine yeast but that may shoot the ABV up to 9%ish apparently which is too strong.
I do however have a packet of kit yeast from a beer kit, could i add a few grams of that? Maybe help out the gervin.

Bit lost to be honest. Any yeast experts out there have any idea if just the gervin yeast can hack it?

If you are talking about the Wilko Gervin Ale yeast, this is apparently repackaged Danstar Nottingham. This will certainly be fine with 5% abv. I would ferment at a lower temperature to avoid the esters, which might not work so well with the ginger. But try it!

Eyup all,
I have a question regardibg different types of yeast. I am collecting ingrediants to make home made ginger beer (23L of it) and will be using 2kg of table sugar and 500g of light brown sugar for primary fermentation.
Ide like the final strengh to be about 5% and am using a sachet of wilko gervin yeast. My concern is that the yeast wont be able to handle all that sugar. So another optuon i've heard is to use wine yeast but that may shoot the ABV up to 9%ish apparently which is too strong.
I do however have a packet of kit yeast from a beer kit, could i add a few grams of that? Maybe help out the gervin.

Bit lost to be honest. Any yeast experts out there have any idea if just the gervin yeast can hack it?

2.5kg of sugar in 23litres will only get you about 6% tops even if you used wine yeast. it will be thin as there are no malts used and all the sugar will be converted you'd get around 4.4% with gervin. as is I think you need to have some malt sugars in that receipe.

2.5kg of sugar in 23litres will only get you about 6% tops even if you used wine yeast. it will be thin as there are no malts used and all the sugar will be converted you'd get around 4.4% with gervin. as is I think you need to have some malt sugars in that receipe.

Ah right, so more sugar?? Very new to this brewing lark and the recipe seemed simple eneugh.

Regardless of the yeast you use, that should ferment all the way down to 0.990 (ish) ... and as was said further up, about 6% abv. You might get a slight flavour difference depending on the yeast you use but it'll be marginal ... the ginger will probably hide that anyway. Brewmaster Ben on Youtube has done a comparative yeast test on cider making ... you might like to check that out, it's quite interesting.

You'll only get a higher finishing gravity if you use some malt.

Literaly just got back from buying all the stuff to make it, bugger. Can you elaborate atall?
You'll basically be making an alcoholic lemonade ! It's not "beer" but more of a country wine. The Victorians were very fond of it. Go for it ... you have the ingredients, he who dares Rodney, he who dares ...

okay ... that changes the whole game plan

It does indeed.
I chose table sugar for cheapness and someone elae made it that way on the thread.
It all cost me a out 10 quid so im gonna take a punt on it. It may turn out like the victorian simmer wine stuff n' that's ok for me. Dont think they had spray malt?

I'll give it a bash and see whats what. The only deviation is im using wilko gervin yeast (nottingham yeasy?)

That's yet another of the aspects of home-brewing that I love ... experimenting ! Well, I call it experimenting, I very often make it up as I go along ... great fun.
The Nottingham yeast would have just been a bit cleaner than the GV 12 ... but as I said before, the ginger will no doubt cover up any differences.

Latest posts

Back