Alcohol tolerant English ale yeast got a double IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
This is still very much at the planning stage at the moment but I'm thinking I might try my hand at a double IPA at some point this year. I'm not usually one for super strong beers but I think that it might be a fun experiment.

I've been playing around trying to formulate a recipe and I have one which comes in at a little over 10% abv.

I'm not a big fan of US-05/wlp001 and it's variants as I like some English yeast character in my beer. I'm also not a fan of Nottingham yeast. It's fine but doesn't really add much to a beer and I like a nice estery English strain.

I'm looking for an English yeast that will ferment up to 10 or 11% and also finish dry. I'm going to add two tins of golden syrup to help dry it out but I don't want something that gets to 8% and drops out leaving me with a gravity of 1.030 or similar.

Any suggestions?

Alternatively, what about using a second yeast? Maybe ferment with my preferred English strain then add something like Saflager S-189 which is good to 14% to finish off.

I'm going to add two tins of golden syrup to help dry it out
My experience of using up to 600g golden syrup is that if there is a lot going on 'taste-wise' in your beer you don't notice it. So I use it in stout, but not pale ale types any more since it does come through into the finished product. Not sure about two tins of GS however that might well give it a definite twang of its own, unless of course you really enjoy the taste of GS.

My experience of using up to 600g golden syrup is that if there is a lot going on 'taste-wise' in your beer you don't notice it. So I use it in stout, but not pale ale types any more since it does come through into the finished product. Not sure about two tins of GS however that might well give it a definite twang of its own, unless of course you really enjoy the taste of GS.

I've used one tin of golden syrup I'm a Belgian IPA before. There was plenty going on there with all the hops and Belgian yeast so I definitely didn't notice anything coming through from the golden syrup.

With a beer this big 900g of GS is still only going to make up a small proportion of the fermentable and as it is partly inverted I thought it would give less of a twang than table sugar. Maybe I will cut it back to one tin.

I'm planning to mash at 63°C for 90 min so hopefully I will have a very fermentable wort.

This is still very much at the planning stage at the moment but I'm thinking I might try my hand at a double IPA at some point this year. I'm not usually one for super strong beers but I think that it might be a fun experiment.

I've been playing around trying to formulate a recipe and I have one which comes in at a little over 10% abv.

I'm not a big fan of US-05/wlp001 and it's variants as I like some English yeast character in my beer. I'm also not a fan of Nottingham yeast. It's fine but doesn't really add much to a beer and I like a nice estery English strain.

I'm looking for an English yeast that will ferment up to 10 or 11% and also finish dry. I'm going to add two tins of golden syrup to help dry it out but I don't want something that gets to 8% and drops out leaving me with a gravity of 1.030 or similar.

Any suggestions?

Alternatively, what about using a second yeast? Maybe ferment with my preferred English strain then add something like Saflager S-189 which is good to 14% to finish off.

I think these would be good:
Wyeast 1028 London Ale
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale
Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale
White Labs WLP004 Irish Ale
White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale

All have high attenuation and alcohol tolerance, and English character.

Any suggestions?

consider mj's m41 or belgian ale yeast, you get fruitiness & high attenuation

it will pleasantly surprise you.

:thumb:

consider mj's m41 or belgian ale yeast, you get fruitiness & high attenuation

it will pleasantly surprise you.

:thumb:

I did consider a Belgian yeast but when I made a 7% Belgian IPA the Belgian yeast flavour was really intense and overwhelmed the hops somewhat.

I want this to be a more traditional double IPA with hop flavours dominating.

I'm hoping that WLP007 will do the job. I have a slant of this that someone sent me so I will check it out on a future brew, before committing to this one.

Back