K-97 Kolsch yeast - Krausen

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajhutch

Landlord.
Reaction score
I used the Fermentis K-97 Kolsch yeast in my altbier. It's all gone well, after 9 days it's around 1.010 and a very occasional bubble. I've gone to a pseudo-lagering phase at outside temperatures now. My question is about the krausen, which is still thick and steady on top of the beer. My previous experience has always been that the krausen dies back after a while and well before the stage I'm at now with this beer.

Does anyone have any experience of this happening, either with this particular yeast or any other, and any tips as to what I should do, or should I just do nothing?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd never even heard of this yeast before you mentioned you were doing a kolsh with it a few days ago. So I did a bit of googling about it. It seems like this thick krausen is characteristic of it. I've had the same thing with MJ CaliLager yeast. There's no harm gently strirring it into the wort. You may find it grows back again though if it's still fermenting

I'd never even heard of this yeast before you mentioned you were doing a kolsh with it a few days ago. So I did a bit of googling about it. It seems like this thick krausen is characteristic of it. I've had the same thing with MJ CaliLager yeast. There's no harm gently strirring it into the wort. You may find it grows back again though if it's still fermenting

Thanks, I guess I should have googled it myself. I have to say I'd never heard of it either and was pleasantly surprised to find it. The variety of dry yeasts available seems to be getting better and better so that's a great thing. Will stir it in gently and see what happens. Maybe I should try harvesting some as well, especially if I'm planning on repeating this beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never used that particular yeast but the Wyeast Kolsch was exactly the same, the krausen took forever to drop.

Latest posts

Back