Ultimate Bavarian Wheat Beer - priming quantity?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aphid

Regular.
Reaction score
I will be bottling my Ultimate Bavarian Wheat Beer at the weekend and I plan to use plain old cane sugar to prime the bottling bucket.

The instructions are a little vague on how much priming sugar to add - 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per pint, they suggest. By my calculations that equates to about 110g. My research on the web has confused as much as helped. The consensus is for around 130g of sugar. One more extreme calculation came to over 180g of sugar which seems alarmingly high.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a sensible quantity of cane sugar to add, please? Would any other freely available supermarket sugar types be better for a Wheat Beer? Sadly, there are no brewing shops nearby.

I used about 120-130g in 25l wheat beer around Christmas. It's pretty well carbed up so that would probably be ok for you. 180g seems mental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All personal preference.

I guess you have 23l of wort. Wheat beer is typically really fizzy so you need more sugar. In the past I have used 8g per litre so 180g is about right. I would go higher with some sources saying 11g per litre. For my tastes 5g is too low in a wheat so I would aim higher than 130g

Wheat beers are traditionally about 3-4.5 volumes of CO2. I primed my American Wheat at 3.5, which is about 10 or 10.5g per litre and it was pretty much spot on!

What does the forum calculator suggest?
Using http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/ and 23 litres at 20*C the answer apparently is a massive 225 to 335g table sugar
icon_e_surprised.gif
..... which derives from 3.3 to 4.5 vols fro German wheat beer.
Who dares wins?

Using http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/ and 23 litres at 20*C the answer apparently is a massive 225 to 335g table sugar
icon_e_surprised.gif
..... which derives from 3.3 to 4.5 vols fro German wheat beer.
Who dares wins?
Many thanks for all the comments. Like #Razor, there was I thinking that 180g of priming sugar was madness. Clearly not! :nono: the priming sugar calculator tool is also new to me. Now safely stored in my favourites. Thanks to both #terrym and #dad_of_john for the link to this. Very useful.

Having brewed my wheat beer a litre or two short I think I will opt for 270g priming sugar. If there are news reports of explosions in Lowestoft over the next couple of weeks.... that could be me! :lol:

IMG_0813.JPG

Many thanks for all the comments. Like #Razor, there was I thinking that 180g of priming sugar was madness. Clearly not! :nono: the priming sugar calculator tool is also new to me. Now safely stored in my favourites. Thanks to both #terrym and #dad_of_john for the link to this. Very useful.

Having brewed my wheat beer a litre or two short I think I will opt for 270g priming sugar. If there are news reports of explosions in Lowestoft over the next couple of weeks.... that could be me! :lol:

Just make sure it's all fermented out before bottling.

Back