Bri's thinking again!!!..small batches (4.5l)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello all,
yes your right, the daft old bugger is off again:lol:
with so many beers and lagers i would like to try, i got thinking how to make small batch,how to make then etc.
Ive got plenty of DJ's and the room to do them...let alone time:mrgreen:
with my battered brain, the question how i can a AG batch.
Thinking Clibits simple AG thread....i dont know!
i could a 13.5L batch of something and then experiment on each of the 4.5l brews for the hops etc.
but this is going to mash my heed.....pardon the pun:lol:
any help would be emazing....n once i get it into my head ill be happy.:thumb:

I'm not sure you'd be able to do the small mash in a GF, you could manage the boil and chill but your losses for such a small batch would be pretty big. You could email the manufacturers and ask them how best to do it, they've got very good customer service.

Hi Bri

I think the way to go is to brew 10L or 15L as usual and then put the batch into 2 or 3 DJ's with some hop pellets, then bottle.

Give me a shout if you want some more details on my thinking.

Sandy

Hi Bri

I think the way to go is to brew 10L or 15L as usual and then put the batch into 2 or 3 DJ's with some hop pellets, then bottle.

Give me a shout if you want some more details on my thinking.

Sandy

yeah as we talked in a PM Sandy.
but I'm confused how to do it...I understand what your meaning.
for example d a 15l 'Ale'.....no probs there (the gf would it no probs)
after the boil and having to divide the 3 x 4.5l batches I'm lost....
if you know what I mean......
so if you take me the steps...i.e. just finished the boil.....
its lost in my mind sorry....the should rename the phase 'Learning difficulty's' to Bri's syndrome...:doh:
the simple tasks can be as hard as a major one to me...lost logical thinking.
I can still remember how to operate a few million pounds of a battle tank, but just now getting so much guidance n help from all of yous makes me at times a PITA..i hate bothering yous, ok some know me now and know what's happened...but I'm still a proud man....
anyways....
I digress.............
where was we..
ohhhhh..just finished the boil of 15L 'Ale'..
sorry over to yous if u don't mind:doh:
ive no Scooby's...
thank u so much as always..
ohhhhh! it would be a help if how to do it is in pics etc...as you know :-)

Last edited:
yeah as we talked in a PM Sandy.
but I'm confused how to do it...I understand what your meaning.
for example d a 15l 'Ale'.....no probs there (the gf would it no probs)
after the boil and having to divide the 3 x 4.5l batches I'm lost....
if you know what I mean......
so if you take me the steps...i.e. just finished the boil.....
its lost in my mind sorry....the should rename the phase 'Learning difficulty's' to Bri's syndrome...:doh:
the simple tasks can be as hard as a major one to me...lost logical thinking.
I can still remember how to operate a few million pounds of a battle tank, but just now getting so much guidance n help from all of yous makes me at times a PITA..i hate bothering yous, ok some know me now and know what's happened...but I'm still a proud man....
anyways....
I digress.............
where was we..
ohhhhh..just finished the boil of 15L 'Ale'..
sorry over to yous if u don't mind:doh:
ive no Scooby's...
thank u so much as always..
ohhhhh! it would be a help if how to do it is in pics etc...as you know :-)

Hi Bri

No problem. What you do is just run the wort into the FV -15L as usual. Pitch the yeast and let it ferment for 2 weeks in the FV. Then drop one third into each of 3 one gallon DJ's (they hold a tad more than 4.5L in my recollection).

Not much trub at this stage in the DJ's and a few pellets in each DJ will add a bit of a "hop lift" to each one. A bit of a strainer on the end of the racking tube will reduce the hop debris in the bottles, when it comes to bottling time.

hello all,
yes your right, the daft old bugger is off again:lol:
with so many beers and lagers i would like to try, i got thinking how to make small batch,how to make then etc.
Ive got plenty of DJ's and the room to do them...let alone time:mrgreen:
with my battered brain, the question how i can a AG batch.
Thinking Clibits simple AG thread....i dont know!
i could a 13.5L batch of something and then experiment on each of the 4.5l brews for the hops etc.
but this is going to mash my heed.....pardon the pun:lol:
any help would be emazing....n once i get it into my head ill be happy.:thumb:

I know what your saying, so many beers to make.. I just end up giving them to the lads at work so I can hurry up and brew another.
Small batches would be good.. But what if I run out:doh::

I see your small batch thinking was 4.5L mine is probably 12-15!! I could then brew most weeks:whistle: still plenty for the boys and will keep me interested..

Or you could make a pale ale base as you normally would and try different yeasts out once you've split into your fvs. It can be quite fun to do that as well as all of the hop experiments.

I see your small batch thinking was 4.5L mine is probably 12-15!! I could then brew most weeks:whistle: still plenty for the boys and will keep me interested..

Ha! Ha!
I could do larger batches in the spare FV's....but with my brain...don't want to push it too hard!! Got 6 DJ's spare and two 23l DJ's....going to be full on experiment I tell ya!

Or you could make a pale ale base as you normally would and try different yeasts out once you've split into your fvs. It can be quite fun to do that as well as all of the hop experiments.

You've hit it on the button!
Didn't think of trying yeast...just the hops!! Doo!
Think it shaping up to a pale ale experiment!!! Don't you think...
I'll get my head around the yeasts and hops and get back to yous...
As Sandy or somebody mentioned a 5l dj has a bit more than 4.5l in it..thinking of ullage for blow out...
PALE IT IS!!!
Looking fwd to get this together...
TBC

Aye, for these sort of experiments where you split up a batch to try different hops, it's a good idea to do a basic pale ale base. Good clean bittering hop, nice aroma hop for the whole batch. Then when you split the batch into the different fermenters you could go with different dry hops in each once the primary fermentation is complete.

Good way of trying out different dry hops. Or if you prefer, you could try different yeasts out. Think maybe something like US-05, a British yeast and a Saison yeast. That way you'll get 3 very different beers.

Aye, for these sort of experiments where you split up a batch to try different hops, it's a good idea to do a basic pale ale base. Good clean bittering hop, nice aroma hop for the whole batch. Then when you split the batch into the different fermenters you could go with different dry hops in each once the primary fermentation is complete.

Good way of trying out different dry hops. Or if you prefer, you could try different yeasts out. Think maybe something like US-05, a British yeast and a Saison yeast. That way you'll get 3 very different beers.

Thx pal...
My tiny brain is spinning now lol
I've only dry hops once before but my memory is smashed...so might as well say I haven't lol..
Nearly finish draft 1....tbc

Okey dokey!!
Here's the start...
GRAIN BILL
Pale ale or extra pale ale
Carapils, or light crystal 10,20l
BATCHES
1.) 4.5l like spring beer
Wyeast 1275 Thames valley Ale
Dry hops gallaxy?

2.) 4.5l pale ale
Whitelabs WLP005 Enlish Ale
Dry hops challenger 7%, EKG 5.5%, styrian golding 4.5%

3.) 4.5l like Saison
Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison
Dry hops magnum 11%, stryrian Golding Celeia 5.5%

Thoughts anyone.....

Sounds brilliant mate. Great choice of hops too. I'm jealous now! Probably wouldn't have Magnum as a dry hop though.

To keep it simple you could start by using the same yeast and different hops from dry hopping. Then the next time you do this, try different yeasts.

The beauty of this is that you can do what you like!

Sounds brilliant mate. Great choice of hops too. I'm jealous now! Probably wouldn't have Magnum as a dry hop though.

To keep it simple you could start by using the same yeast and different hops from dry hopping. Then the next time you do this, try different yeasts.

The beauty of this is that you can do what you like!

Thx m8...
As you say there's endless possibilities and thinking at my brain power as it is....bets to keep it Brian (simple haha!)
The same yeast!! But experiment with
The hops....
Least I have 3 pale ales to try at any one time....
After I've milked the pale ale single yeast and the hops experiment would be phase 2....pale ale trying different yeasts...with one type of dry hops...
As you say there's endless possibilities....
Draft 2...incoming

That's how I'd do it to be honest. Dry hop experiment with one type of yeast. Enjoy those, then do your yeast experiment next time.

DRAFT 2
Still have to sort the grain bill.
Yeast- whitelabs WLP005 Enlish Ale

1.) 4.5l Dry hops- challenger

2.) 4.5lDry hops- EKG

3.) 4.5l Dry hops- stylian golding celeia

Once fermented...racked into the DJ's...dry hopped....strain the beer and then bottle!!...etc..
Is this a plan?
Once I get the grain bill sorted I can faff on with beersmith etc later...
Bloody Saturday furniture shopping...food shopping!! Ya can tell our lass is off work for a few days!! :-).... :-(

Haha that's weekends for you! Those beers look great and all those hops should bring something a wee bit different to the table.

Haha that's weekends for you! Those beers look great and all those hops should bring something a wee bit different to the table.

Lol!
Like I said I'll get onto beersmith and work out the grain bill...
Thinking 15l..
Pale malt
Carapils...crystal 10/20l
What ya reckon..
And I'll go firm on that (honest cheapbrew!!) lol
P'in down and cold...not the best person to hobble about shopping with a walking stick!!! Our lass insists I don't use my chariot!!! Ha! Ha!
Like a scene of little Britain!!!!
You get the image.....
Lata pal...if I get back in one peice.. :-)

Latest posts

Back