Bri's thinking again!!!..small batches (4.5l)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thinking 15l
2.80kg Marris Otter
0.62g Crystal 10l
WLP005 british ale yeast.

what about 23g each for dry hops...??
Challenger 7%
EKG 5.5%
Syrian Golding 4.5%
not have clue with the hops TBH.

I'd go for your grain bill with a fairly neutral bittering hop. Then decide on an aroma hop. Maybe Cascade if you're wanting an American slant, or say, EKG for English-style.

Then choose 3 different aroma hops for your dry hopping. 25g will be enough!

I'd probably go with

Bittering: Magnum
Aroma: Cascade

Dry hop 1: Mosaic
Dry Hop 2: Galaxy
Dry Hop 3: Citra

And because it is more modern style I'd use a more neutral yeast. Say US-05 or or Mangrove Jack's M44.

Or, if you want to go down a more English route.

Bittering: Challenger
Aroma: Fuggles

Dry hop 1: EKG
Dry Hop 2: Bramling Cross
Dry Hop 3: First Gold

Then just use any English yeast that you like.

I'd go for your grain bill with a fairly neutral bittering hop. Then decide on an aroma hop. Maybe Cascade if you're wanting an American slant, or say, EKG for English-style.

Then choose 3 different aroma hops for your dry hopping. 25g will be enough!

I'd probably go with

Bittering: Magnum
Aroma: Cascade

Dry hop 1: Mosaic
Dry Hop 2: Galaxy
Dry Hop 3: Citra

And because it is more modern style I'd use a more neutral yeast. Say US-05 or or Mangrove Jack's M44.

Or, if you want to go down a more English route.

Bittering: Challenger
Aroma: Fuggles

Dry hop 1: EKG
Dry Hop 2: Bramling Cross
Dry Hop 3: First Gold

Then just use any English yeast that you like.

sorry pal im lost off!!:oops:

do you mean a 15L batch BREWED(the grain bill is sorted)
English yeast
with X g EKG @ Xmins
X g FUGGLES @ Xmins

then dry hops..into the secondary (4.5l each)
1: 25g EKG
2: 25g BRAMLING CROSS
3: 25g FIRST GOLD
A English route...
told u i can get confused easy.....:doh:

Go for Challenger at 60 minutes for your bittering. Then Fuggles at 5 minutes and flame out. Then 5 days after pitching your yeast do your 3 different dry hop additions. Leave them in for 4-5 days.

Will be a fun experiment.

Go for Challenger at 60 minutes for your bittering. Then Fuggles at 5 minutes and flame out. Then 5 days after pitching your yeast do your 3 different dry hop additions. Leave them in for 4-5 days.

Will be a fun experiment.

thanks pal...
that helps:thumb:
so far the recipe:
2.8kg Marris Otter
620g Crystal 10l
36g ? challenger @ 60 mins
16g ? fuggle @ 15 mins
16g ? fuggle @ 0 mins
English yeast

What IBU you getting when you dial that into Beersmith? I'd maybe go for less crystal malt but otherwise it looks very good!

I had a quick look and you'll want to use about 15g per hop addition during the boil to get you the right amount of IBUs.

So 15g Challenger
15g Fuggles
Then another 15g Fuggles.

Personally I wouldn't use fuggles in your base recipe if you want the dry hops to shine through. Fuggles have a very distinct flavour and could easily over power the dry hops.

Hi mick,
Sorry for the late Reply.
Thinking back...mind my memory is shot!! A has had a IPA that the fuggles overpowered it....fuggles in small quantities I think but getting the balance right is hard lol
Which hops you recommend ova fuggles pal..
If I use fuggles...then dry hops (with other hops as in my experiment) surely the fuggles overpowering be diluted so to speak??
Mind it's one memory using fuggles that blew my mind!! Had no experience using hops...after that I was a bit scared using too much..personally I don't like too much bittering hops and a snitching of aroma...
But this is going to exiting making notes of the hops makes the difference etc..
Once again thx for responding

With the amount of Fuggles you're using I don't see it being an issue but you can switch out the Fuggles for any UK aroma hop.

With the amount of Fuggles you're using I don't see it being an issue but you can switch out the Fuggles for any UK aroma hop.

Thx pal...still need to faff on with the crystal amount...n I've drops the hops down from 16g of fuggles...the recipe is so far:
15l 60 min boil.
2.8kg Marris Otter
620g (might try 400-450g) Crystal 10l
36g challenger @ 60 mins
12g fuggle @ 15 mins
12g fuggle @ 0 mins
English yeast
Mash at 65•C

recipe is so far:
15l 60 min boil.
2.8kg Marris Otter
400g Crystal 10l