Hop questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlewarl

Reaction score
Hi All

First time brewer and forum poster here. Looking for a bit of advice please.

I've bought the minimum amount of kit I thought I would need to make the Young's AAA kit. I have a 15 litre fv which I bought with a tap attached already and to which I can attach a little bottler. I've made half the kit and the brew seems to have gone according to plan.

Hops are in for dry hopping but the hops seem to all be in a layer on the top.

I have two questions. Will the hops do the job just sat on the top like that or should I stir them in?

If leaving them floating on top, what do I do when it comes to bottling? Seems as though they may well get into the bottles. Would be better if they had sunk to the bottom I would think.

Cheers

Carl

Hops are best submerged when dry hopping, to keep debris to a minimum most of us put them into a sterilised muslin hop sock weighted down with a couple of teaspoons or similar, you can limit any debris further by racking the beer into another vessel before bottling as fermenting and bottling from a single vessel can lead to undue amounts of sediment or excessive wastage.

In your situation now I would stir them in. if you haven't got another FV to rack off into I would wrap some muslin around the bottom of the little bottle to prevent debris getting in the bottles.

No need to open up and stir in. If they are still floating in a layer on top of your brew after a day or so (you should be able to see this through the translucent wall of the FV) just gently knock the FV side next to where the layer is all the way round the FV and you should send some of the hops to the bottom. Keep repeating this from time to time and in the end all the hop bits will sink.
As others have said you will need to filter out hop bits when you transfer your beer into your bottles or PB.
I don't bother with a hop bag any more; I just chuck the pellets into the brew but use a small sanitised nylon sock over the end of the siphon tube at packaging which is very effective at removing the hop bits.

Thanks guys. I ended up tying a piece of muslin over the tap inlet which did the job.

Just have to wait a few weeks now!

Latest posts

Back