Belgian Wit stuck fermentation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes very cloudy but it means that I need to used 40% pale malt to ensure conversion, the down side is its not as white as I'd like it to be .....but thats another thread..... cheers

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

I think that I may have a possible cause of the high FG.

For some reason I set my strike water temp to 71c to allow for the cooling effect of the grain and did not notice the heater was still on for the first 5 mins (maintaining 71c). So allowing for the time taken to cool down the first 15 minutes of the mash were over target temperature. I did not realise the consequences, but I guess that this will give me a higher proportion of unfermentables and a higher FG. It was not in my notes because it was an error!

A higher strike temperature is not necessary with a grainfather as it can maintain the mash temperature, but Beersmith told me too and I was in a rush and did not think it through!

That'll do it. I'd look into doing a step mash next time you do a wheat beer, be a shame not to with a GF. A protein rest and if doing a hefeweizen, a ferulic acid rest.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

My next wheat will be a hefeweizen (Weihenstephaner clone) so I just looked up Ferulic Acid rest!

I presume that the rest time is in addition to the mash time, not part of?

So it would look like this?
Ferulic rest - 43c for 10 mins
Protein rest - 50c for 15 mins
Mash say 65c for 60 mins

That'll do it. I'd look into doing a step mash next time you do a wheat beer, be a shame not to with a GF. A protein rest and if doing a hefeweizen, a ferulic acid rest.

Yes 60 minutes at mash temp, although if needs be most of the conversion would probably be done if shortened to 40 minutes.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

My next wheat will be a hefeweizen (Weihenstephaner clone) so I just looked up Ferulic Acid rest!

I presume that the rest time is in addition to the mash time, not part of?

So it would look like this?
Ferulic rest - 43c for 10 mins
Protein rest - 50c for 15 mins
Mash say 65c for 60 mins

I have done the same as that before but mashed out at 75c as well. Last batch i just added Melanoidin malt instead,mashed in at 65c and out at 75c. Came out really well. Glad you found the problem, its so annoying when that happens. Had 3 Stouts do that in a row do that.

Thanks.

Potentially bad beer is disappointing, but not knowing why really bothered me. This has taught me to not only document what I intend to do and my measurements but also unintended variations to the plan.

Thanks.

Potentially bad beer is disappointing, but not knowing why really bothered me. This has taught me to not only document what I intend to do and my measurements but also unintended variations to the plan.

I've almost finished my brewing spreadsheet. It has a brewday print off and everything. Calcs out all target volumes, grain weight, Mash temps, strike water temp( for a pre heated mash tun), strike water volume. Pretty much the full works.

The brewday sheet has targets vs achieved parameters and a notes section, so it makes tracking your brewday easy.

More functionality being added as and when I have time. I'll be putting it up on the forum shortly.

Back