Stuck fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dps51

Landlord.
Reaction score
hi all
my fermentation as stopped. first two days grate then nothing
it's a bitter brew which I'm doing with a s-o4 yeast
took lid of this morning and nothing it's dead smells ok and taste very sweet.what should I do had another yeast or what
any help would be grate

You can give it a gentle stir with a sterilised spoon, you can try and raise the temperature a little and you can add another yeast.
First off though is to get a sample and check the gravity.

Calm down and stop taking the lid off! Despite what some will tell you, fermentation takes around four weeks for all the processes to complete. Yes, you can package earlier, but you'll pay in terms of final quality.

If you had initial fermentation then the yeast are active. Maintain a consistent temperature and be patient. Stop messing with it. It'll all turn out okay in the end.

I doubt it's stopped. It's likely to be more vigorous in the early stages then calm down. If you are really worried, take a gavity reading a couple of days running to see if it is coming down. As @The Idiot said, don't keep taking the lid off and relax.

You haven't said how long it's been in the FV for other than being more than 2 days either.

this is the forth day in fv temperature 21c
the lid was not bowed up no bubbles on top of wort
this is what make me think its stuck or the yeast was not a good batch

this is the forth day in fv temperature 21c
the lid was not bowed up no bubbles on top of wort
this is what make me think its stuck or the yeast was not a good batch

Or it could be that your lid just isn't airtight. Have you taken gravity readings?

Yeah just leave it and take a gravity reading next week. day 4 is far too early to be popping the lid and worrying.

I think S04 is a yeast which has a vigorous start and drops quickly

Used S04 a few times and it's got a kick at the start then resides.Your fermenter is fine and as it's only day 4 close the lid and come back next week for a few consecutive gravity readings and then if it's low enough at around 1.012 which mine has usually went too then your done.Patience is a virtue.👍

Sent from my ALE-L21

Latest posts

Back