Have a go at simple AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found this website that sells starter kits and recipe kits for 1 gallon AG brewing.

http://www.brewcraftbeer.co.uk/

I can see people maybe buying the starter kit for a reasonable £30, even though it doesn't contain much, no stock pot or grain bag, but will they pay £9.99 for subsequent 4 litre kits? That's more than £1 a bottle, without delivery charges.

What do people think? Is there any mileage in offering starter kits that do contain a stock pot and grain bag, and which deliver 10 litre batches rather than 4 litre batches, say? And would people buy 10 litre grain/hops/yeast kits, or just buy the ingredients themselves?

Loving it, so far have done 23 Ltrs of Irish red ale, 25 Ltrs of America brown ale, and am planning 23 Ltrs of extra special ale this weekend,

Loving it, so far have done 23 Ltrs of Irish red ale, 25 Ltrs of America brown ale, and am planning 23 Ltrs of extra special ale this weekend,

What is the extra special ale going to contain? Are you doing BIAB?

Nope just putting it all into my mash tun, don't know the full recipe for the special as me dad bought a kit ready to go from the homebrew shop

Clibit I think people would. I read your first post in this thread today. Stevej sent me the link was chatting with him last night.
A few things happend reading this post.
First I thought yes gonna do this.
Then I thought oh what equipment do I need.

Then I read more of the posts and ended up confused as the smile brew in first post and reason for the thread seems to get lost in a bundle of jargon and recipes in later posts.

Then I went onto http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Pale-Malt-Malted-Grain-Home-Brewing-Brew-Shop-UK.html

And thought what am I supposed to buy. It said Maris in clibits post. But which one.

Finally I thought why does no one seem to offer a kit pan hops yeast the lot.

Must say they will only ever attract newbies as I can see how addictive this will become.

Clibit I think people would. I read your first post in this thread today. Stevej sent me the link was chatting with him last night.
A few things happend reading this post.
First I thought yes gonna do this.
Then I thought oh what equipment do I need.

Then I read more of the posts and ended up confused as the smile brew in first post and reason for the thread seems to get lost in a bundle of jargon and recipes in later posts.

Then I went onto http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Pale-Malt-Malted-Grain-Home-Brewing-Brew-Shop-UK.html

And thought what am I supposed to buy. It said Maris in clibits post. But which one.

Finally I thought why does no one seem to offer a kit pan hops yeast the lot.

Must say they will only ever attract newbies as I can see how addictive this will become.

Yes I'm sure reading the while thread can cause confusion. You can use any base malt for this, Maris Otter is just one. In fact you can use any recipe, scaled down to 5 litres.

Thanks for replying, I'm wondering whether to start selling starter packs that provide all the equipment to make 5 and 10 litre simple AG brews.

Think you should but would depend on price.
I for one would see it as a way to get started
The equipment wouldn't go to waste as let's be honest a quick little sample for experiment would be best.

That said I need the kit and the missus will be buying my a set up for Christmas. But I don't know what to tell her to buy.

The main thing you need is a stock pot that holds about 15 litres. And a bag made from muslin that the pots will fit into. I made mine. Measured the pot circumference, halved it and cut two pieces of muslin a bit wider than half the circumference. Longer than the height of the pot too, maybe 10-15cm longer. Sew them together. Or just line a colander with a piece of muslin and pour the mash through it, to catch the grain.

You need a brewing thermometer and a hydrometer, about £3 each.

Then you need the study required for kit brewing. Fermenting vessel for 5-10 litres, siphon, bottles, capper.

Got all the general bits but do I got for just a pot or a kit with boiler and wort chiller
We would happily spend a couple hundred on each other so just want not to waste money but buy well

Any recommendations would be great

Got all the general bits but do I got for just a pot or a kit with boiler and wort chiller
We would happily spend a couple hundred on each other so just want not to waste money but buy well

Any recommendations would be great

Depends if you want to make batches 12 litres or less, or bigger batches.

Both is the quick answer. Small batches to test but. I drink a fair bit so 40 pints wouldn't last long once find what I like. Then there is the family.

Both is the quick answer. Small batches to test but. I drink a fair bit so 40 pints wouldn't last long once find what I like. Then there is the family.

If you want to make 40 pint batches, 23 litres, get a kit with boiler and chiller. You can do 12 litre brews in that too.

I would have been all over a complete 10 L kit as a beginner. Particularly with a set of instructions as simple as in the first thread. Perhaps with a set of "going further" or"next steps" instructions stating other base malts or just suggesting up to 10% of specialty malts to kick the second or third brew up a notch. Anyway, a complete kit sounds ace!

Also make your own chiller, pop to b&q get the copper tube it's about & £18for it a few hose clips and some hose or clear pipe job done, wrap it all round a paint can to make it round space it a bit after and bingo works great

Also make your own chiller, pop to b&q get the copper tube it's about & �£18for it a few hose clips and some hose or clear pipe job done, wrap it all round a paint can to make it round space it a bit after and bingo works great

Is that for a 15 litre pot,, chaos?

Mine is in a 25 ltr boiler, cools from boiling to 20 in about half hour, tho ensure you use clips to hold hose on, one of ours came off and it squirted boiling hot water all over my arm resulting in some evil burns, oops

Latest posts

Back