Wilko's Dark Velvet Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to use the H&B jars for bulking up wilkos single can kits, along with some hops, and they worked well. They were in the penny sale once (buy one, get one for a penny). The rucksack was heavy that day!

Started this on 21/10/15 using:

2 x Tins Dark Velvet Stout
500g Extra Dark Spraymalt
454g Black Treacle
2 x Kit Yeast

300g Crushed Crystal
300g Crushed Chocolate
200g Crushed Wheat
100g Flaked Barley...........All simmered for 30 mins

23L Mineral Water
Brewed at 20c
OG was 1.060

Went absolutely ape**** for the first three days, straight through the air lock and all over the place. Lovely smell though.
SG on 13th the SG was 1.020
" " 20th " " " 1.016
Checked today 24th and it was 1.015.

Was sort of hoping it would have lower than this. Any views, chaps?

Drinking:
Millstone Shine On 4.9%
Coopers Stout 5.1%
Various Saisons, Dark and Golden 6.0% to 6.9%
Wilkos Mexican Cerveza 5.5%
Wilkos Delicate Pilsner 5.3%
Loads of odds and sods.

Maturing for 14 months:
Five different Brewferm kits

Went absolutely ape**** for the first three days, straight through the air lock and all over the place. Lovely smell though.
" " 20th " " " 1.016

#############
Depends on the fermentables you use.
I can't remember the figures exactly, but if a kit calls for 1kg of fermentables and the kit says you will get 1006......

This figure assumes you use table sugar.
If you use brewing sugar you are likely to get about 1008
If you use brew enhancer 1010
If you use malt extract 1012.

Numbers are in that order. Given that you've used almost exclusively malt extract (and loads of it) 1015 might be about right.

Might be worth giving it a shake and upping the temperature by a couple of degrees centigrade to see if the yeast starts going again though .... what harm can it do.

OG was 1.060

You have got a 75% apparent attenuation which is slightly above what you should be expecting from a standard kit yeast, so based on this you have done well!
My one and only Wilko kit only managed 61%, i.e. 1.042 to 1.016, which is about 10% less attenuation than I was expecting. :-(

You have got a 75% apparent attenuation which is slightly above what you should be expecting from a standard kit yeast, so based on this you have done well!
My one and only Wilko kit only managed 61%, i.e. 1.042 to 1.016, which is about 10% less attenuation than I was expecting. :-(

For comparison, I used kit yeast with the Wilko Stout I have conditioning at the moment and my attenuation was 72% (1047 to 1013).

" " 20th " " " 1.016

#############
Depends on the fermentables you use.
I can't remember the figures exactly, but if a kit calls for 1kg of fermentables and the kit says you will get 1006......

This figure assumes you use table sugar.
If you use brewing sugar you are likely to get about 1008
If you use brew enhancer 1010
If you use malt extract 1012.

Numbers are in that order. Given that you've used almost exclusively malt extract (and loads of it) 1015 might be about right.

Might be worth giving it a shake and upping the temperature by a couple of degrees centigrade to see if the yeast starts going again though .... what harm can it do.

Gave it a gentle stir and it has come down to 1.014. Its still bubbling through the airlock very, very slowly. Added problem, no heat now. Either the STC or the toolstation heater has packed up :mad:

Gave it a gentle stir and it has come down to 1.014. Its still bubbling through the airlock very, very slowly. Added problem, no heat now. Either the STC or the toolstation heater has packed up :mad:

Just checked the SG, still 1.014.
The temperature has dropped to 10.6c. Will this affect the beer do you think?
Tried a drop and it tastes fine.

Blimey! Just had an early Christmas Present :pray:

Tidying up all my brewing equipment I found 10 bottles of this that I brewed in early January 2015. Christ is this lovely! Not far off the taste of Wychwoods Black Wych. Really first class, I find it hard to believe I've brewed something that tastes like this. Hate to say it, but this tastes better than Coopers Stout, my favorite.

I used:
2 x Kit Tins + both yeasts
300g Crushed Chocolate Malt ..simmered for 30 mins
200g " Crystal Malt " "
150g " Wheat Malt " "
454g Black Treacle
100g Brewing Sugar
Yeast Nutrient
OG 1.055
FG 1.015
Took 20 days to finish at 20c
23L Tesco Value Water
Primed 41 500ml bottles with 80g Tesco Golden Sugar

Was going to save this for the Christmas week........Nah, no chance!

Merry Christmas all :party:

Brewed mine short at 19.5 litres.
1 can velvet stout
500 grm dk spray malt
500 grm beer enhancer(youngs)
100 grm demerera sugar
8 grms goldings
1/4 tin black treacle
1 x tea bag of willamette
ABV approx 4.4% or there abouts.

Steeped the goldings for 15 mins in caffatiere and added to the kit, spray malt, beer enhancer,treacle, water and sugar. OG 1050
After 12 days i added the tea bag of willamette hops, again steeped but both liquid and tea bag dropped into FV. tested at a stable 1016 after another 6 days, removed hop bag and racked onto 91 grams of boiled and cooled sugar and bottled.

This is now nearly 3 months old and tastes quite decent, has a good head and a nice dark colour.
Would do anothet but hop it up a tad with more goldings and perhaps do a cold steep of coffee beans:thumb:

Hi chub1,
Have you tried holding back the Goldings until the fermentation is complete? I'm considering holding back the flavour/aroma hops until fermentation has finished so that the essential oils aren't lost during fermentation.
Colin

Hi chub1,
Have you tried holding back the Goldings until the fermentation is complete? I'm considering holding back the flavour/aroma hops until fermentation has finished so that the essential oils aren't lost during fermentation.
Colin
No, have only done this one stout. Will do another at some point and have a mess around with hops etc

Ha anyone tried making this it into a milk stout by adding lactose?... I'm contemplating making one up...

Hi!
I've ordered some lactose to have a go at a milk stout. I've bought cocoa nibs from H&B to steep in vodka to make a chocolate essence for a chocolate stout. May try a chocolate milk stout.
I plan to use no more than 300g lactose - I won't adjust the fermentables.
Now waiting to see whether Wilko has a sale soon - last sale the stout kit was £8.

Mold on wilko stout do I pour it down drain it taste fine to me but not sure?
5D8F6B78-BF45-49CD-A939-192D01B1CAB4.jpeg
Pop

Mold on wilko stout do I pour it down drain it taste fine to me but not sure? View attachment 21885Pop
Its difficult to tell from your photo but it doesn't look like mould to me. It looks like the residue of hop oils, proteins, and yeast that you often get floating on top of a fermented out beer. If it is mould, then remove the beer from under the surface and leave the top liquid layer behind and hope its OK when you open your first bottle.

Its difficult to tell from your photo but it doesn't look like mould to me. It looks like the residue of hop oils, proteins, and yeast that you often get floating on top of a fermented out beer. If it is mould, then remove the beer from under the surface and leave the top liquid layer behind and hope its OK when you open your first bottle.
thanks for reply
yes i did dry hop with chinook( been in freezer ages) I've racked into new fermenter was going to leave it there a day or two then transfer to a king keg

Latest posts

Back