Young's American IPA temperature

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehorse

Reaction score
I've just received this, my second kit. I was surprised to see that its first 14 days in the FV are meant to be at between 20-24C. My previous kit was happy being between 16-18C, which was about the temperature of our spare room. Am I going to have to look into a way of heating the FV or will a lower temp just mean fermentation takes a bit longer?

16 is a bit low I don't go below 18! It will take longer, can't see why it will matter unless your in a rush. The only brew Iv ever done higher was a New world saison.
Hope this helps.

Rob.

This is all good news. But which is a better bet? Leaving it for lomger at 16-18C or investing in some way of keeping it warmer?

My first Youngs AIPA was done in the June heatwave and had a few days up at 28 degrees :oops: and needed a blow off tube.

The second time it sat at around 16-18 degrees for 3 weeks in the shed.

Both have been great tasting beers, I actually preferred the flavours in the first batch*.

*It was also my first homebrew kit and kept in a PB rather than being bottled.

I think the key is to keep it at the same temperature (so your spare room is probably great and an improvement over my shed) and ideally above 18 degrees. If you want to help it keep heat wrap it in a duvet.

My two brews of this kit have been less than ideal but have both produced very moreish beers.

Enjoy it, IMHO the young's kits are excellent and pretty much bomb proof with the experience on here and a pinch of salt with the instructions.

Remember the fermentation process creates heat, so if the room is 16-18C the brew itself will be a couple of degrees above this, certainly during the early vigorous fermentation. Maybe after it starts to slow down, wrap the vessel to keep it warm.

Cheers. Due to a sick kid I'm in the spare room tonight and it's a lot warmer than 16C. You could grow orchids in here

Latest posts

Back