Realistic batch size

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dufresne

Reaction score
Just got my hands on a tea urn for free and bout to move onto biab brewing.

Tested the urn out today and it'll bring 17L of water to a good rolling boil and not cut out aslong as the lid is off.

Seeing as volume is stated as 17L and I've got a few inches spare above max fill line (hopefully enough to avoid boil overs) what the biggest batch size I can brew? Mostly be doing hefe and session beers, don't think it'll provide room for Any BIG beers.

Probly get some stick for this but I brew in a 20 odd litre boil. Just top it off with DME solution and cold water to start the cooling ;-)

It all depends on your propensity and willingness to faff about. If this is zero, add grains to as much mash water as you can fit in. Remove bag and boil. You'll probably have about 12 litres to transfer to the fv.

If faffing about holds no fears, you can use more grain, and sparge the grain after the mash and add more wort to the pan before the boil. The main constraint is the amount of grain you can mash in the boiler. At a push you should fit 5kg grain in with enough mash water (12.5 litres minimum), maybe a bit more than 5kg, but then it would be a thick mash that would need sparging and that could be messy. A faff. Unless you have something to heat sparge water and sleeve the grains in.

Thanks for the replies folks. I don't mind a bit of faffing about so will go the sparge route. I've another large pot I can use for sparge water and a hefty metal colander that fits the urn perfectly.
First biab brews will be small batch hefe's with a grain bill of 2.7kg, that'll give me a good idea of how much room I've actually got.

Cheers 🍻

Be aware that boiling wort produces a lot of froth! Well peppered with fragments of hop. You might consider 10-12L is the maximum you'd want to boil in that urn.

My work just asked fir the urn back... I thought it was for keeps! Nevermind, it's just as well I bought the peco boiler biab kit from HBC the other day!

Latest posts

Back