De-Labelling bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrcwcb89

Regular.
Reaction score
I managed to pick up about 80-100 bottles today there 300ml ones but they'll do the trick for free , any tips on getting the labels off I've sat about 20 Budweiser bottles in really hot soapy water and they don't seem to be shifting even when peeling away they are leaving all the glue in them

Any tips would be great

Budweiser labels normally just float off and the glue more or less floats off too - have you tried soaking for 10 mins in very hot water (just tap water as hot as your boiler can manage) ?

If not you will need to scrape off and remove the glue residue off the glass with wire wool - you can buy wire wool from your local hardware store in a bundle for £2-£3. Just non soapy wire wool is fine, no need to have the brillo soap stuff built in. Again hot water works wonders.

If the glue won't shift with fairy liquid on a scourer in hot water, then I spray with wd40 and remove it with some fine wire wool , then wash with fairy liquid on a normal sponge scourer. Most labels succumb to this (after initial peeling off) but there a couple of breweries bottles that don't work which I avoid. Never tried Bud since only do 500mls. I've just finished de labelling a dozen....try to do a dozen a day in the winter.

Excellent cheers ! I managed to get some from a local dance hall the only sell 300 ml bottle but managed to get calsberg , bud , carling and about a dozen Miller bottles but they will do fine for the two batches of flavoured hooch I've just put on

Beggers can't be choosers ehh

I use a sink full of hot water and a small cup of washing powder and they usually come off easy and any then any stuborn glue I just use a scouring pad

I tend to just leave the labels on the bottles, can't be bothered with scrubbing them off. To be fair most do just drop off in the dishwasher anyway (I run my bottles though a cycle with no washing tablet before I starsan them).

PS cheers again for the bitter kit Colin!

5b2942cf662b8b56f2b716b9d074223c.jpg

Currently soaking [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Missus isn't to pleased tho [emoji85]

That's no problem mate did you get it on ?

5b2942cf662b8b56f2b716b9d074223c.jpg

Currently soaking [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Missus isn't to pleased tho [emoji85]

That's no problem mate did you get it on ?

Really? I can't think why?! 😂

I use an own brand oxi stain remover, soak bottles for 10-20 mins and all the labels just float off, piece of cake!
I used to soak them, scrape with a knife, then soak again and then use
'Sticky stuff remover' with wire wool.
But trust me, just get oxi action stain remover for about a quid, works a treat.

Sometimes the really nasty glue\plastic labels are more easily removed by filling the bottle with very hot water, but keeping the outside dry. It can then peel off without as much residue.

Lmao half of them bottles will be for her so really fairs fair [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I've done the 20 bud ones in the kitchen sink with fairy liquid a knife n wire wool

4647a1cf527c3e4dc995884853f0636e.jpg

Small amount of graft involved , the rest I've done in the bath with soap powder and the labels are falling off already [emoji16] hallelujah cause that could have been a nightmare doing that for all them.

Sometimes the really nasty glue\plastic labels are more easily removed by filling the bottle with very hot water, but keeping the outside dry. It can then peel off without as much residue.

This works with some labels - plastic labels and some of the paper labels that use the same glue type. Some of the paper labels are stuck on with something more like superglue, the paper comes off but really hard glue left behind. Wire wool or a brillo pad might fetch it off.

Gags hope it turns out magic for you Wheazy [emoji106]

The soap powder trick worked deco need to invest in a bottle tree tho [emoji23] yet again she's complaining because in "borrowing" stuff from her kitchen [emoji85]

bc9966be498e8ed6afb4a296fa621121.jpg

I leave bottles soaking in cold water for a couple of days then most labels fall off /peel off easily, any others just need a quick scrape with a sharp knife and then wire wool and warm water n fairy liquid to remove any residual glue, with wine bottles I find removing the aluminium lock cap from the neck more time consuming.

Vanish Oxi Action stain remover works very well. Just soak the bottles for half an hour and the labels fall off!

I second the oxi stain powder too... Soak in hot water for 10 mins and the labels float off. Minimal glue left on usually

Gags hope it turns out magic for you Wheazy [emoji106]

The soap powder trick worked deco need to invest in a bottle tree tho [emoji23] yet again she's complaining because in "borrowing" stuff from her kitchen [emoji85]

bc9966be498e8ed6afb4a296fa621121.jpg

I've had to buy every kitchen thing I started off borrowing. Last week I was told I had to get my own washing up bowl because I had star San in it for most of the day. TBH it's a good idea as I won't have to keep trooping back to the kitchen to clean stuff.

Latest posts

Back