Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > Beer Kit Brewing Discussion. > First time brewer from Leeds

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:52 PM   #41
Buzz669

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

No need to add CO2 at this stage as the priming sugar should carbonate it nicely. As you get towards the end of the barrel, however, CO2 can be used to top up and maintain pressure rather than it taking half an hour to draw off a pint.
You see, as you draw off beer the pressure initially is high but ...as you draw off more you leave space for the remaining gas to expand into. Eventually (around 2/3 of the way down) the gas spreads out enough to equalize with the air pressure outside and anything else you manage to get out will create a vacuum in the tank. You then have two options ...
1. Top up with an injection of CO2 (restoring pressure and keeping airborne nasties from coming into contact with/spoiling the remnants.
2. Loosen the top allowing air to get in and allow gravity to pour your beer. This either requires you to risk airborne infection or requires a bit of a session to get rid of 1/3 of a barrel in an evening (invite a mate or two round).
Muntons Russian Imperial Stout 4.2%, Youngs American Amber Ale 6.4%, Wine Buddy White Zinfandel 11.29%, Youngs Oaked Rum Ale 5.78%, Bulldog Brews Easter Brew 5.25%, Bulldog Brews Evil Dog 7.09%, Bel Vino South African Red 9.45%, Festival Peach Cider 5.25%
Conditioning:
Youngs American Amber Ale, Youngs Saison
Brewing: Nothing (too hot)

Old 12-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #42
Lido

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So this weekend will be my first taste of my beer.

I don't really have anywhere naturally cool to store the keg, but I do have a spare fridge in the garage. Should I store it in there with the fridge on?

Beginners question - the tap is on the bottom of my keg, will it not be full of sediment from the bottom of the keg?

Any other tasting tips? I'm expecting it to have gone wrong at some point with all the hot summer temperatures and beginners mistakes....

Old 13-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #43
Buzz669

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You could keep it in fridge if it'll fit or just find the coolest place you can (remember, people have been drinking warm Ale for years ... not saying you should but ....)
Alternatively, pour some off into a carbonated drinks bottle or two (clean obviously) seal and store in a fridge for an hour or so ... you won't lose much carbonation in that time.

You will have sediment at bottom of keg, but it should be well below the tap. Just take care not to disturb it through movement. If you think it may have been disturbed (i.e. You've moved it to a higher level to be able to draw off a pint) give it a while for the bits to settle.

I think you may surprise yourself with your first brew, here's hoping! Let us know how you get on.
Muntons Russian Imperial Stout 4.2%, Youngs American Amber Ale 6.4%, Wine Buddy White Zinfandel 11.29%, Youngs Oaked Rum Ale 5.78%, Bulldog Brews Easter Brew 5.25%, Bulldog Brews Evil Dog 7.09%, Bel Vino South African Red 9.45%, Festival Peach Cider 5.25%
Conditioning:

Old 16-07-2017, 06:01 PM   #44
Lido

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well the tasting has happened and... it's pretty good! Definitely drinkable.

The initial taste is good, but the aftertaste is a little... acidic. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
keg1.png   beer1.png  

Old 19-07-2017, 09:36 PM   #45
Buzz669

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I reckon, possibly wrongly (I'm still learning too), that it tastes acidic due to the initial high temperature and the different alcohol being produced. I'm sure someone out there knows better. You may well find you have a big of a sore head in the morning after a couple of pints!
Otherwise, it appears you have had a successful first brew so ....
Take all the lessons learned (a few in this thread) and get another lot on the go!
Even with all the apprehension and worry about errors you produced a "drinkable brew" so, in my opinion ... a winner.
Let us know what you make next and how it turns out .... and keep asking questions, it's how we all learn!
Conditioning:

Old 19-07-2017, 11:33 PM   #46
Dutto
Dutto

Liked 1696 Times on 1210 Posts
Likes Given: 3749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lido View Post
Well the tasting has happened and... it's pretty good! Definitely drinkable.

The initial taste is good, but the aftertaste is a little... acidic. Any thoughts?
Leave it alone for at least two more weeks ...

... and in the meantime get the next batch underway!

PS

According to a popular survivalist, urine (especially your own) is "drinkable" so I prefer "palatable" when describing my own beer!

Living more in hope than expectation; and seldom disappointed.

Drinking
AG Mild Ale (02/03/17)
Coopers Stout Kit + Grain (15/06/17)
SMASH with Maris Otter & Saaz (24/08/17)

Carbonating/Conditioning
Vienna Lager with Hallertau
Pale Ale with EKG & Saaz
Wilco's Hoppy Copper Bitter
Wilco's Pilsner with Lowicz Cherry Syrup

Fermenting
Watch this space!

Note:
(**/**/**) = Date ready to drink.
pms67 Likes This 
Old 19-07-2017, 11:37 PM   #47
Gerryjo

Liked 672 Times on 551 Posts
Likes Given: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutto View Post
Leave it alone for at least two more weeks ...

... and in the meantime get the next batch underway!

PS

According to a popular survivalist, urine (especially your own) is "drinkable" so I prefer "palatable" when describing my own beer!
Trust you @Dutto you would nearly think you were taking the p#£@....

Gerry
Dutto Likes This 
Old 20-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #48
Lido

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the encouragement!

A couple of last questions before I put the next brew on...

1. How long will this beer keep in the keg?

2. Can I fill up a screw-top bottle to hand to friends from the keg, and how long will that keep?

3. What beer do you recommend I try next for my second attempt!?

Old 20-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #49
Dutto
Dutto

Liked 1696 Times on 1210 Posts
Likes Given: 3749

1. At least two months getting better every day; and then another couple probably tasting not as good.

2. "Yes" and "No". The beer will tend to be flat and it will stay flat until it starts to spoil; which may be a matter of days or weeks.

3. MY "Go To" is any Woodfordes Kit; and my favourite is the Woodfordes Wherry. It ain't easy to brew ('cos it has a reputation of sticking) but it is a beautiful pint.

Enjoy!

Living more in hope than expectation; and seldom disappointed.

Drinking
AG Mild Ale (02/03/17)
Coopers Stout Kit + Grain (15/06/17)
SMASH with Maris Otter & Saaz (24/08/17)

Carbonating/Conditioning
Vienna Lager with Hallertau
Pale Ale with EKG & Saaz
Wilco's Hoppy Copper Bitter
Wilco's Pilsner with Lowicz Cherry Syrup

Fermenting
Watch this space!

Note:
(**/**/**) = Date ready to drink.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:03 PM   #50
Lido

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So just over 2 weeks since my last post and it has improved in terms of the aftertaste. Although initial flavours are a little more bitter.

Photo attached. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
poured pint.jpeg  
Buzz669 Likes This