Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Wine, Cider & Other Home Brewing Talk > Wine & Cider Recipes > 23L/5 Gal Blackberry wine recipe

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:24 PM   #1
lsshackleto

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 23L/5 Gal Blackberry wine recipe

I have about 7 kilos of blackberries in the freezer from last summer and I am looking to make a large'ish 5 gallon/23 litre batch. I have previously made a few 1 gallon batches with fantastic results but I am just a dabbler when it comes to 'from scratch' brews and have no idea on scaling up. Any advice much appreciated.

Old 09-07-2017, 04:47 PM   #2
jthomas

Liked 24 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Hi, 7kg should easily give You 20 litres (23 pushed). You have 2 choices, make a juice/wort from it or do crushed fruit fermentation, but in second option, fruits will take a space in fermentor, so forget about 20/23 litres, results will be more likely 12-14 litres max, but IMHO flavor will be much deeper/intense so I would go for this option. when it comes to yeast I will go for some nice fruity ones from Mangrove Jacks, I reccomend Mangrove Jacks R56 they the best for this fruit, other options are Mangrove Jacks SN9-bayanus strain or VR21 - crevisea strain, both good, bayanus will accept high sugar wort and produce more alcohol if You like strong wines, choice is Yours, now You need tiny bit os gypsum coz blackberries are too sharp around 11-13g acids per litre, which is bit too much so wine will be too sharp, You want 8-9g max, so 1-2g gypsum for every litre of juice or kg of fruits, so You need 7-14g gypsum, then You will ne 3-5 tsp yeast nutrient for total 23 L bucket, remember You will need 10-15 cm space in bucket for foam forming in you go for fruit fermentation or 5-7cm if use just juice, and of course sugar - depends how stron You want it. Also is good to prepare yeast, in cup of water and 1-2tbsp sugar and some juice (optional). I hope it helps, let me know if You have any questions.
- 1DJ saffron banana wine
- 1DJ witbier mead (2:1)
- 1DJ raspberry melomel (3:1)
- 1DJ strawberry melomel (3:1)
- 1DJ xmas metheglin (2:1)
-1 DJ WOW rgj + rasp + cranb
- 1DJ WOW rose rgj+apple+wgj

Conditioning:
- 3 bottles amaretto

Drinking:
- 50 btls red wine Merlot type
- 2 btls blackcurrant wine
- 5 bottles Quince + vanilla liquer
- 3 bottles Apricot liquer
- 10 bottles elderflower + goosberry liquer
jceg316 Likes This 
Old 09-07-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
jceg316

Liked 223 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 217

Where I am there are a sh*t tun of blackberries so I'm interested in making something alcoholic with them. I have a plan to do a plum and blackberry stout or saison, but we have soooooo many. This is useful information @jthomas thanks!

Old 09-07-2017, 05:22 PM   #4
jthomas

Your welcome jceg316, I have quite few ideas what You can do with them, wine, mead, saison, porter/stout and You can freeeze pulp/puree and use it in winter, I am sooooooo jealous, I would love to have some, in lidl/aldi 150g cost 2-3 pounds, is sh*t too expensive to make it, for small batch I would need 2-3kg,
Blackberries works good with plum, smoked prunes, cinnamon, vanilla pod (smoked prune + cinnamon + blackberries in RIS would be awesome IMO),
You are lucky guys

Conditioning:
- 3 bottles amaretto

Drinking:

Old 09-07-2017, 05:55 PM   #5
jthomas

ohhhh just looked in my notes, another way to correct acidity is either not use gypsum and mix some dry plain banana wine with blackberry wine, or just add very ripe banana puree to fermentation, for 7kg blackberries You looking for about 0.5-0.8kg bananas, cheap, brown very ripe ones, or ..... i just remind myself another option, make banana tea, cook sliced ripe bananas in water, cool down and add to wort and reduce amounts of water, like cook 1-1.3kg bananas (equivalent of 0,5-0,8 fresh flesh) in 2 litres of water for 10 minutes, chill down and use it. It helps much by adding more body to wine

Conditioning:
- 3 bottles amaretto

Drinking:
GDog Likes This 
Old 12-07-2017, 11:27 AM   #6
jceg316

Liked 223 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 217

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas View Post
Your welcome jceg316, I have quite few ideas what You can do with them, wine, mead, saison, porter/stout and You can freeeze pulp/puree and use it in winter, I am sooooooo jealous, I would love to have some, in lidl/aldi 150g cost 2-3 pounds, is sh*t too expensive to make it, for small batch I would need 2-3kg,
Blackberries works good with plum, smoked prunes, cinnamon, vanilla pod (smoked prune + cinnamon + blackberries in RIS would be awesome IMO),
You are lucky guys
I find paying for blackberries a huge con in this country. They grow everywhere. IF you are near a field or forest or anywhere which has some grass there will be brambles growing nearby.

My wife runs a farm where there are tonnes and tonnes of blackberries growing. Gonna be making a lot of jam and chutney too!
jthomas Likes This 
Old 15-07-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
lsshackleto

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

jthomas - Thanks for the reply. Any chance you could break it down a little bit for this novice - A step by step would be much appreciated (I thought gypsum was used in the manufacture of plasterboard)
Bigeck Likes This 
Old 16-07-2017, 07:24 PM   #8
jthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsshackleto View Post
jthomas - Thanks for the reply. Any chance you could break it down a little bit for this novice - A step by step would be much appreciated (I thought gypsum was used in the manufacture of plasterboard)

What exactly would You like to know? Making wine from raw fruits?

Conditioning:
- 3 bottles amaretto

Drinking:

Old 17-07-2017, 08:34 PM   #9
lsshackleto

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomas View Post
What exactly would You like to know? Making wine from raw fruits?
I very much appreciate your initial reply and I would feel safest going for your second option - the snag is that you don't mention how much boiling water to use nor sugar content and whilst this sounds like very basic stuff I obviously don't have your skill set - and I don't want to waste so much fruit by getting things wrong. If you could help me with the basics at kick off I reckon I could take it from there.

Old 17-07-2017, 09:37 PM   #10
jthomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsshackleto View Post
I very much appreciate your initial reply and I would feel safest going for your second option - the snag is that you don't mention how much boiling water to use nor sugar content and whilst this sounds like very basic stuff I obviously don't have your skill set - and I don't want to waste so much fruit by getting things wrong. If you could help me with the basics at kick off I reckon I could take it from there.

No problem.
Here we go. If You have 23/25 litre fermentor and want to do fruit fermentation (is that option did U mean?), You really need to leave a quite a bit of space in Your fermentor, coz on 2nd or 3rd day of fermentation, it will be very vigorous/foamy as hell.

So 6-7kg of blackberries + sugar already make a bit of volume. Now its difficult to tell how much sugar You need to use, coz I have no idea what wine You want to archive, sweet, dry, 10% ABV or 16 % ABV? If I know how much sugar (every 1kg sugar is about 0.6L volume) You want to use, I can tell You how much of water and/or juice to use.

Do You have hydrometer or refractometer to measure sugar content? Or if its Your first wine You just want to try given recipe and see how it goes? Let me know bit more specific, I am happy to help You or advice interesting route to go for.

Let me know mate.

Conditioning:
- 3 bottles amaretto

Drinking: