Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Discussion > NE IPA too ambitious for first go at AG?

Old 26-06-2017, 11:26 AM   #11
strange-steve
Quantum Brewer

Liked 746 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 199

Ajhutch is right, your water isn't great. Tesco Ashbeck will be fine to use, even better if you can get some calcium chloride and add a tsp to the mash.
Old 04-07-2017, 01:32 PM   #12
r-evans

Liked 21 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by strange-steve View Post
Ajhutch is right, your water isn't great. Tesco Ashbeck will be fine to use, even better if you can get some calcium chloride and add a tsp to the mash.
Any Calcium Chloride in particular? Not sure if I can buy in supermarkets or just Home Brew stores?

Also, as you both seem to have experience with NE IPA, I grabbed some Marris Otter last night, is that a good base malt for NE IPA or should I get something better? Also grabbed some Wheat Malt but now not sure if that is different to White Wheat as my recipe lists (Simply because it's a pale brown )

Old 04-07-2017, 01:54 PM   #13
grmski

Liked 56 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 61

If it were me then I'd recommend going for a nice hoppy SMASH recipe. Lets you get the hoppiness you want (depending on what you use) but takes out some areas where you could have problems. A nice Amarillo smash would be along the lines of 5kg Maris Otter so around 1055 OG, bitter to 45 IBU's with Amarillo at the start of the boil (so for 60 mins) then chuck in 50 g of Amarillo at flame out. Should aim for a FG about 1010-1012 so you'll get a hoppy pale ale at about 5.5%. Start with 25 litres of Ashbeck water in the boiler and you should end up with around 20-22 litres into the FV. The colour just using MO will be light straw so nice and pale. The hop is great and I bet you'll love it and there's a limited number of things to go wrong.
Conditioning:
Drinking: Stone IPA, Greg Hughes Nelson Sauvin

http://www.homebrewadventure.co.uk
For a homebrewers review of homebrew recipe books, beers and equipment.

Old 04-07-2017, 03:12 PM   #14
Zephyr259

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Go for it, I did one as my 3rd AG stove-top batch.

1.5 kg maris otter, 200g medium crystal, 200g malted wheat, 100g flaked oats.
I went for a hop-burst style schedule (think that's the right term), hops were equal quantities of amarillo, cascade and galaxy as below.
20 min - 1.5g
15 min - 2.5g
10 min - 3.5g
5 min - 4.5g
0 min - 5.5g

I planned to do a dry hop but didn't bother in the end, fermented with danstar winsor for some unknown reason... only got down to 1.020 but I did mash hot at 68C (and help the temp in the oven since towels were losing too much heat). Ended up with a really tasty beer, a bit dark for the "style" due to the crystal but I'm sure I read somewhere it's used, I could say it's a NE(Scotland) IPA since crystal is so prevalent in British beers. Extremely smooth and hoppy but also satisfying due to the high finishing gravity and the high protein grains, would definitely brew this again. My father-in-law just found one in his fridge after a few months, it had dropped almost crystal clear and they rated it as the best beer of the bunch they were drinking that day (decided to sample a few of my brews I'd given him with some of his mates).

So as others have said, good for it, even if it's not perfectly to style you'll still end up with something tasty.

Blackcurrant Wine, Plum Melomel, Barley Wine

Conditioning
Orange Blossom Mead
Various fruit wines and meads

Fermenting

Planned
Rochefort 8 clone, Witbier, Flanders Red Ale
r-evans Likes This 
Old 04-07-2017, 04:24 PM   #15
dad_of_jon
Beer designer

Liked 923 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1703

Tesco value water comes from chase spring and thats a bit cheaper too

Name - style - abv% - no. left

Working hard in the yard - american wit - 5.2% - 12
Seasons to be cheerful pt 2 -Saison - 7% - 39
King Kong - Big black Belgian Quad - 12.86% - 18
East vs West - Belgian RIS - 9% - 31
Risky Business II - 8.2% - 34

Xmas 2017 - 6 each put aside

Stealth triple - Dark Triple - 7.22%
Ris-ky business - 10.37%
Sleighed in Belgium - 9.3%
King Kong - 12.86%
r-evans Likes This 
Old 05-07-2017, 07:47 AM   #16
r-evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr259 View Post
Go for it, I did one as my 3rd AG stove-top batch.

1.5 kg maris otter, 200g medium crystal, 200g malted wheat, 100g flaked oats.
I went for a hop-burst style schedule (think that's the right term), hops were equal quantities of amarillo, cascade and galaxy as below.
20 min - 1.5g
15 min - 2.5g
10 min - 3.5g
5 min - 4.5g
0 min - 5.5g

I planned to do a dry hop but didn't bother in the end, fermented with danstar winsor for some unknown reason... only got down to 1.020 but I did mash hot at 68C (and help the temp in the oven since towels were losing too much heat). Ended up with a really tasty beer, a bit dark for the "style" due to the crystal but I'm sure I read somewhere it's used, I could say it's a NE(Scotland) IPA since crystal is so prevalent in British beers. Extremely smooth and hoppy but also satisfying due to the high finishing gravity and the high protein grains, would definitely brew this again. My father-in-law just found one in his fridge after a few months, it had dropped almost crystal clear and they rated it as the best beer of the bunch they were drinking that day (decided to sample a few of my brews I'd given him with some of his mates).

So as others have said, good for it, even if it's not perfectly to style you'll still end up with something tasty.
Sounds good, I'm definitely going to try this style. My recipe has more MO and less Crystal so shouldn't be too dark for me.

Would you recommend mashing at a lower temp then if you struggled to hit FG?

Old 05-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #17
Zephyr259

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Hard to say for sure. I think Windsor is a poor attenuator, and my house was quite cold at the time. The CML US ale is a very good attenuator from what I hear in these forums so you probably shouldn't struggle. Have you run the recipe through any brewing software?

Blackcurrant Wine, Plum Melomel, Barley Wine

Conditioning
Orange Blossom Mead
Various fruit wines and meads

Fermenting

Planned
Rochefort 8 clone, Witbier, Flanders Red Ale

Old 17-07-2017, 10:17 AM   #18
r-evans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr259 View Post
Hard to say for sure. I think Windsor is a poor attenuator, and my house was quite cold at the time. The CML US ale is a very good attenuator from what I hear in these forums so you probably shouldn't struggle. Have you run the recipe through any brewing software?
Have done on the recipe builder on this site, I have Beersmith on my phone too but not done that yet.

Old 17-07-2017, 12:32 PM   #19
Sadfield

Liked 256 Times on 164 Posts
Likes Given: 38

A very good attenuator is not what you want with this style.

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

Old 18-07-2017, 05:49 AM   #20
YourBrew
Sponsor

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You should totally go ahead with your recipe, just don't expect to turn out perfect as it is a tricky style even for experienced brewers. Worst case scenario you end up with a nice hazy IPA. Try to have fun and don't worry too much about the water right now, focus on the technique and the process.

You can get wholesale prices without wholesale order quantities - forever.

Limited Time. Limited Places.

Click here for more info...