Igloo coolmax as masher

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwrw

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi,
I thought I was doing the best thing by finding one of the best coolboxes on the market ...this might be so,but it's a right old so and so for converting into a mash tun. :(
The spigot/drainage angle and position prevent a normal tank connector and ball valve adaptation as the protruding angle prevents positioning and unbalances the base (and cannot be left that close to a ledge as it will topple at an effective over-hang). :hmm:
My solution is to use a converted steel mesh sleeve from a tap connecting hose and run this through the factory fitted drain and bonding the mesh to the outside of the drainage spiggot with rubber plumbers tape (to give some sort of seal).Then I will join a 2 ft section of garden hose (with a control tap at the end) to this by placing a rubber hose connector over the spiggot and secure with a jubilee clip.
One alternative would be to use a linen bag or a standard mashing bag instead of the wire mesh sleeve.
I would be very greatful if anyone could offer me their take on this and whether I will be ending up with disgusting tasting beer due to the rubber tape or the garden hose section -FEEL FREE TO COMMENT. :whistle:
Cheers,
Cwrw

Hi Cwrw...

The Q you have to ask youself is .... is the tape food safe??? and also I would not use garden hose myself.....check this out food grade pipe of Vossy1

Is there any way you could get a "plastic weld" job on it????

can you not blank off the existing hole, then drill a new one higher up and use the traditional tank connector/ball valve approach?

Cheers for the uptake :cheers:
I've taken on board what you're saying DJ, and I've found the inner rubber hose of the steel water pipe (which I easily presume is consumption grade)that I butchered for the filter.What I've done now is lodged this a tight quarter of an inch up the inside of the spiggot which will leave 7 inches of rubber hose inside the cooler - I'll try and fix the braid filter to this with a jubilee clip.
The outside of the cooler I'll run a very short (and thin) silicone piece which fits snug on the spiggot end, buy a gardening hose flow controller, then reconnect to another small piece of silicone that fits snuggly inside a strong 6mm inside diameter silicone tube to run-off.
Does this sound a healthier approach? :hmm:

Done the business .....ran some near boiling water into it and it seems ok and has 850ml deadspace. Considering my problem with the coolbox model I reckon it's a reasonable turnout, but do comment if I'm better off with another method.
Cwrw

Fair job :thumb: if it w**ks (can't say that word) ok give it a go....the next one you make you'll know what to look out for.....it's all a learning curve...we all go through it :hmm:

There's lots of info in the older post's...it's just a case of taking your time.

Hi...when you say dimples I take it you mean the lugs...these should be on the inside of the tank, but you can use them which ever way round you want, as long as they do the job..

take a look here and you will see how Jenki drilled the tank connectors so that the 15mm pipe would fit.

Hope this helps

Just tested the Masher and it held 20l of water for 2 hours 30 minutes with an initial drop of 10C in the first minute, then 3c over the duration (test temp 71c down to 68c) - this should mean a good heat retention at 66c for 90 minutes in cooler weather. :D

Back