This PH Meter any good?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawks

Landlord.
Reaction score
This looks pretty cheap for a digital PH Meter to me, but then I know nothing about them... clicky

Can anyone who knows about such things comment ?

Cheers
Paul

hawkinspm said:
This looks pretty cheap for a digital PH Meter to me, but then I know nothing about them... clicky

Cheers
Paul

There is a reason why cheap pH meters are cheap......they are rubbish.
I used to do a fair bit of hydroponics, and the cheap pH meters were/are notoriously unreliable.
A good pH meter needs regular calibrating.....cheap ones seem to need calibrating every minute or so.
The electrodes used in the cheap ones are very poor quality and the electronics also seem to go in very short order too.
If you really want a pH meter, my advice would be to save up over a few months and buy a good quality one.

ATB

markp said:
There is a reason why cheap pH meters are cheap......they are rubbish.
I used to do a fair bit of hydroponics, and the cheap pH meters were/are notoriously unreliable.
A good pH meter needs regular calibrating.....cheap ones seem to need calibrating every minute or so.
The electrodes used in the cheap ones are very poor quality and the electronics also seem to go in very short order too.
If you really want a pH meter, my advice would be to save up over a few months and buy a good quality one.

ATB

Cheers for that :thumb:

I suspected as much, but thought it worth an ask...

hawkinspm said:

Paul you are right, that is a cheap pH meter :lol:. Its basically a clone of a Hanna phep meter which I have used in the past, and as Mark wrote, is pretty inaccurate, and unreliable . . .often reading incorrectly in the calibration solution . . . even after being calibrated, personally I would rather use pH Papers than one of those again.

Back