Wilko Mexican Cerveza

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhyno

Reaction score
So, after leaving it for 2 months in the bottle i've just cracked open a bottle and i can say it was worth the wait!

This was my first beer kit and i can say it was fairly easy start to finish. I followed the handy little instructions that came with it. I must confess i used standard sugar as opposed to brewing sugar and i can't tell the difference at all. Also used standard sugar to batch condition rather than using carbonation drops.

I had tried a bottle a little early and i wasn't impressed however i can put that down to impatience, this isn't a mistake il make again next time!

it's got quite a distinct flavour and it definitely mellows over time. I think il try the Coopers version next time and possibly try to cold crash it to minimise the amount of sediment in the bottles.

I am drinking one of these at the moment.

I bought it cheap in the last sale so used it for an experimental brew. Used light liquid malt extract and the CML kolsch yeast. Then dry hopped with some Kohatu hops.

It's probably one of the clearest brews I've made. Probably would have been very good dry hopped with traditional lager hops of some sort but is not bad after a couple of months in the bottle.

Glad you're enjoying yours. Get the next brew on now so that is nicely conditioned when you've finished the cerveza!

it's got quite a distinct flavour and it definitely mellows over time. I think il try the Coopers version next time and possibly try to cold crash it to minimise the amount of sediment in the bottles.
There are three ways to minimise yeast carry over at packaging time with a target of clear or nearly clear beer.
1. Simply leave it longer in the FV, 14 days is the minimum imo, certainly for light beers;some folks on here think nothing of leaving it 3 or 4 weeks
2. Crash cooling for a few days helps - but you need a fridge or a cold place which is difficult in summer
3. Racking off the yeasty trub when the primary has finished helps.
I always do 1), and often do 2) and/or 3) as well.

There are three ways to minimise yeast carry over at packaging time with a target of clear or nearly clear beer.
1. Simply leave it longer in the FV, 14 days is the minimum imo, certainly for light beers;some folks on here think nothing of leaving it 3 or 4 weeks
2. Crash cooling for a few days helps - but you need a fridge or a cold place which is difficult in summer
3. Racking off the yeasty trub when the primary has finished helps.
I always do 1), and often do 2) and/or 3) as well.

Thanks i appreciate the advice. there wasn't loads in the bottle but i feel there was more than there would have been if i'd been more experienced. Will definitely try this next time round.

The Wilco Cerveza makes a great base from which to experiment with your brews. :thumb:

Ever wondered what a Chilli Beer tasted like? How about one with Black Treacle in it? Ever thought of boosting a beer with your favourite hop flavour?

Yep! A great base that is difficult (but not impossible :doh:) to screw up.

Enjoy! :thumb:

Back