CaraAroma / Aromatic Malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just wanted to give a shout out for this amazing grain. After trying it instead of amber malt I've ended up using it in my last 3 brews.

It is 400ECB so quite dark but gives a great toasty, dry, slightly roasted flavour and very strong malt taste with out any of the acrid or bitter taste you get with Chocolate or black malt.

If you are looking to add some extra depth of flavour to a bitter, red or brown ale, a porter or stout then I really recommend trying a couple of hundred grams of Aromatic Malt.

Interesting you used it instead of amber malt. I normally use biscuit in my bitter but GEB no longer stock it so I planned on using amber when I run out of biscuit as amber is a good almost direct sub for biscuit. Would you say Aroma is a good sub but different or a direct sub for amber

Interesting you used it instead of amber malt. I normally use biscuit in my bitter but GEB no longer stock it so I planned on using amber when I run out of biscuit as amber is a good almost direct sub for biscuit. Would you say Aroma is a good sub but different or a direct sub for amber

It is quite different to amber. I always thought amber should pack more punch than it did in my beers. When I tried aromatic malt it hit the spot.

It's a lot darker than amber or biscuit so you couldn't use it in a pale ale if you want to keep it light coloured.

It is quite different to amber. I always thought amber should pack more punch than it did in my beers. When I tried aromatic malt it hit the spot.

It's a lot darker than amber or biscuit so you couldn't use it in a pale ale if you want to keep it light coloured.

@Simonh82 , what percentage of Cara Aroma have you been using? I was all set to try amber but may give this a go instead.

@Simonh82 , what percentage of Cara Aroma have you been using? I was all set to try amber but may give this a go instead.
I normally use 200-300g in a 25L batch in my red ales but I also would add some other lighter crystal malts and maybe some munich.

Latest posts

Back