Spraymalt Taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfpint

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed a taste difference between Light and dark spraymalt.

I would assume light DME is produced from something like Maris Otter, and dark from darker roasted barley. If I make an AG wort with either, they taste different, but am I wrong to presume DME would taste different as well.

I want to up the SG of a kit stout, but don't want to increase the coffee/choc taste associated with roasted malts, also don't want it thin by adding just sugars. :confused:

You could do a mini-mash to increase your OG, that's what I've been doing recently with kits: some MO in a kitchen saucepan at the right temp for an hour, then a quick boil afterwards and add to the kit. Quick and cheap.

I'm doing this kit as a demo to show a few non brewers that kit beers can be just as good as shop bought, so I don't want to use grain, but something they can buy ready to add from the local HBS.

I've not used DME or LME myself, as I started down the BIAB route.

OK cool.

I'd use the light DME if I were you. I have used DME a lot in the past and always the light stuff. Even for dark beers supplied in recipe packs, they always come with light DME and grains (crystal) to darken it.

I don't know a lot about the darker DME or when you'd use it, presumably it's for a darker colour but surely you'd just steep some grains with it and get some more flavour too?

Thanks for the input guys, I'm making a simple stout with a can of Coopers + 1 Kg dark spraymalt + MJ M15 yeast.
Nice and easy to show some non believers that kits are good, should work out @ 4.5%.

Latest posts

Back