Home made Candi Sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone made the Golden Syrup yet. Mine is really thick, almost breaks the spoon. Very happy with the beer i brewed with that and the Candi Sugar though. Wont be ready til Xmas but first taste was very promising for a 10% ABV. No rank solvent taste. I will be using the rest of the bits up with a tin a malt extract and maybe a partial mash. Going to be called "Rogers Old Todger". Might need some help designing the recipe.

unfortunately not, my brew time in the kitchen is limited so I buy GS & candi sugar. I've done a 12.8% :-o brew using these sugars, dme, dwe and a mini mash with MJ's belgian ale yeast. 22 litres with a single packet (re-hydrated) and no stalling.

i'm a big fan of CS & GS :grin:

Is that stuff so hard to come by in the UK? Here candi is about 1 quid per half a kilo. Basterd sugar (crystal sugar moisturized by adding inverted syrup) goes around the same price per kilo but is packed per kilo (comes in dark, brown, Light brown and white). All big stores carry it.

It seems like a hell of a work to make a batch of it, or well.. if it's something you can buy for 2 quid.

Is that stuff so hard to come by in the UK? Here candi is about 1 quid per half a kilo. Basterd sugar (crystal sugar moisturized by adding inverted syrup) goes around the same price per kilo but is packed per kilo (comes in dark, brown, Light brown and white). All big stores carry it.

It seems like a hell of a work to make a batch of it, or well.. if it's something you can buy for 2 quid.

It's not something you can buy in the supermarket (at least I've never seen it) if that's what you mean. Although of course you can buy it from online HB shops.

I'm going to have to look more carefully the next time i'm in albert heijn :grin:

Here is some honey i caramalised on the left. Took about 20 minutes to get to this colour. As you can see it gets very thick. Make sure you use a low heat or it will burn.

DSC_0111.jpg

What does the caramelised honey taste like?
I was thinking of making some in the pressure cooker in jars if it's tasty (similar method to this).

Its more intense something like honey candi sugar. Try a small amount and see if you like it. Everyone here did. I used to use a pressure cooker until i warped the lid on my hob by accident. I would just use a pan on a low heat or it might burn. Great for cooking beans in pressure cookers, must get another.

Its more intense something like honey candi sugar. Try a small amount and see if you like it. Everyone here did. I used to use a pressure cooker until i warped the lid on my hob by accident. I would just use a pan on a low heat or it might burn. Great for cooking beans in pressure cookers, must get another.

Interesting, I will have to make a little jar.
If you use canning or jam jars (quarter of a turn undone) then it should not burn, infact you can do loads of things like steel cut oats that would need constant stirring on the stove to not catch.

I made this last night using 1kg of sugar. The one to the right is @30 mins and the one on the left is @60mins. I got bored and couldnt be bothered to watch it another hour. If you make a large batch you can pour some into another pan so you can get various colours.

016.jpg

I've never frozen my candi sugar, but these days I tend to use golden syrup instead.

It's got to be the water vapour in the air condensing when frozen? Commercial candi sugar doesn't get frozen. Well I leave mine in the original packaging in a kitchen cupboard and its been fine.

How does the colour of the homemade sugar hold up in the beer? I used DAP for my sugar which makes it a class 3 caramel which is stable in beer. Gave a nice dark golden brown colour.

The reason i put put in the freezer was because it never really set without. Perhaps my thermometer is out and it didn't get hot enough. I think i will stick with golden syrup as its easier and not going to make much difference for what i am using it for.

Back