Coopers 86 Day Pilsner

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanec70

Reaction score
Hi All, just set this kit away on Saturday afternoon, I used 1kg of Dried light malt extract and also added 200 grams of brewing sugar along with the kit yeast. As yet I am waiting to see any action in the FV, I whipped the lid off about 30 mins ago and can see foam on top but no bubbles yet through the bubbler. It is around 20-21 degrees in the room I have it in and have successfully brewed a Wilko Cerveza in the same area about 4 weeks ago. Is it to early to start worrying yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have 'foam' or a krausen on top of the brew the yeast is working. The most probable reason you have not seen any bubbles through the lock is that the FV to lid joint is not sealed properly and CO2 is bypassing the airlock. Its quite common to have this happen. It might look sealed but it isn't. So now just leave it alone with the lid on for another two weeks and by then it will have finished the primary, the yeast will have cleaned up and it will be clear enough to bottle.

If you have 'foam' or a krausen on top of the brew the yeast is working. The most probable reason you have not seen any bubbles through the lock is that the FV to lid joint is not sealed properly and CO2 is bypassing the airlock. Its quite common to have this happen. It might look sealed but it isn't. So now just leave it alone with the lid on for another two weeks and by then it will have finished the primary, the yeast will have cleaned up and it will be clear enough to bottle.

I have it in a thoroughly cleaned and sanitised wine vessel with a screw top lid. It did cross my mind but have used this many times before with loads of bubbles thought the bubbler.

I have it in a thoroughly cleaned and sanitised wine vessel with a screw top lid. It did cross my mind but have used this many times before with loads of bubbles thought the bubbler.

Ok, ready to bottle this and after reading the instructions it suggests 8 grams of sugar per litre. This equates to 176 grams as I have 22 litres to bottle. Does this seem a little much? What would anyone recommend. Also can I use this to prime.
76b44977aaa57ed42fd3c625def63281.jpg
25e012b92baf05bb3ea7c748a07b9822.jpg

I like my kit lagers quite carbonated so I use 1tsp of sugar per 600ml bottle. For ales and stouts I use 1/2tsp per 500ml bottle.

Anyone out there done this kit and would care to do a review, since I was considering including with my next order.
It comes with a lager yeast (same as the Euro lager) although the normal 6/7g pack that come with Coopers kits is probably not enough for a healthy fermentation at much lower than about 16*C.

Back