Does Grain have a sell by date?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caerleon

Regular.
Reaction score
I just realised that i moved in my new place over 7 months ago and at that time i ordered a grain kit with the grains crushed, would it still be ok to use if it was sealed?

Im sure the fresher the better, but should i chuck the kit and get a new one?

Thanks for your help,
C

I have no idea about kits!
I use grain, as long as it is kept dry, there will be no problem.
You will know by the smell if it has ruined.
I have certain little used grain that is over 18 months old, still smells sweet!

Is it best to store it in something like a FV or will that cause it to, well, ferment? That is will sealing the grain in a container cause it to degrade quicker?

Ridley

evanvine said:
... I keep mine in a plastic dustbin, cool, dry, dark and rodent free.

+ 1 :thumb:

and I had some last year that was 7 or 8 months old by the time I got round to using it for brewing

....... I'm drinking the resultant brew now and its very much OK :party:

So as it is a dustbin does that mean it does not have the gas tight type lids of a FV?

Ridley said:
So as it is a dustbin does that mean it does not have the gas tight type lids of a FV?

I use a large swing top affair which is big enough to hold the grain in as it comes, ie in the sack :thumb:

put sack into bin, unfasten sack top, use contents as required and roll down sack top and put bin lid on :thumb:

Latest posts

Back