Barley varieties V malts product names

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ijerry

Reaction score
Hi anyone have an idea on what malts are created by varieties quench / propino/lux

sorry only know maris otter is used for the best british pale malt thats all i know oh and 2-row and 6-row are used in america to make two different malts giving different attributes to the beer

As Geo mentioned, here in the US, we use 2row or 6row. 6row is predominantly used for lager production. I've used it a couple times. It's supposed to have a "grainier" taste than 2row but I couldn't really tell the difference TBH.

I use Maris Otter for my English beers. I've used Thomas Fawcett, Warminster, and a few others. I didn't notice much difference among the different maltsters either. My latest sack of grain is Golden Promise by Simpsons. I like that best so far. However, there's a huge difference between UK malt and US malt. The UK malt has a richer fuller taste to me. Our 2row malt tastes rather bland by itself. But load it up with some character malts and a C hops, and it does just fine.

Baz

Malt is usually made of mixed amounts of varieties.

A friend of mine who works in Soufflet malting plant said it's strange that in UK so old varieties are still used, like Optic, Golden Promise or MO, they're now over 30 years old at best. In continental Europe varieties have much shorter "life", it's usually 8 years and then they are replaced by newer, better suited, less vulnerable. As I remember, 2-3 years ago the most sought variety was Sebastian, now it's nearly extinct and replaced by newer varieties.

Back