Cleaning beer lines.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corby_brewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
Afternoon all.

I know the answer to this question before i ask, but decided to get a second opinion before i do it. If i add the beer line cleaner to my cornie to clean my beer line, will it damage the cornie?

That's what I've been doing Dave, but never thought until now if its okay with the rubber O-rings.

It is not the rubber o-rings you need to worry about.

Is it 'proper' beer line cleaner? - the stuff that the trade use.
If so, then if that is left for any length of time in your corny it will cause pitting - it is incredibly nasty stuff........works a treat, but nasty, nasty.

All of the cleaning gear in my old mans pub was made of food grade plastic.

ATB

It's fine for the period of time that it will take to clean the lines. Just remember to dilute it ;)

Wear gloves and eye protection though, it's nasty stuff.

markp said:
Is it 'proper' beer line cleaner? - the stuff that the trade

Yes Mark its the proper stuff, got it from my friendly puplican who just happens to be a friend of the family. ;)

JamesB said:
It's fine for the period of time that it will take to clean the lines. Just remember to dilute it

Wear gloves and eye protection though, it's nasty stuff.

Thanks for that James. :thumb:

It's not that bad in a corny Dave.

I've left diluted Antiformin S in a corny for a couple of months and the corny didn't dissolve :roll:

There are major issues when using BLEACH as these are often 'thickened' using sodium chloride in an open container you can get chloride ( note not chlorine) corrosion of the passivation layer at the air liquid interface where deposition of sodium chloride can occur . . .once the passivation layer is 'broken' then the chlorine gets to work. This isn't a bad paper on stainless and chlorine if somewhat technical.

BLC and chlorinated caustics designed for brewery use are safe to use on stainless steel.

Latest posts

Back