Leaky King Keg?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought my first king keg yesterday, and dutifully cleaned and sterilised it. Obviously, I couldn't resist putting a bit of co2 in to test the seal! Anyways, I gave it a couple of 1 second bursts through the s30 valve, and opened the tap to see what kind of flow I could expect. It kind of dribbled out, and stopped after maybe a pint or so. I closed the tap, and added more co2; as I removed the gas bottle, I could hear the valve hissing - venting gas....
I checked seals on all the bits'n'bobs, and came to the conclusion that it's definitely the valve that's venting. So:
Is this normal?
How much pressure should the valve hold before venting?
What kind of flow should I expect to see under 'normal' pressure?
Are these valves adjustable, or am I going back to the brewshop?

Thank you for any help you can give this thirsty newbie.

Sean

Firstly you need to identify where on the valve it's leaking mix some soapy water up and put over the valve see if it's leaking from the seal where the valve fit's through the lid or through the Centre of the valve where the co2 goes in. or around the outside of the valve where the pressure relief would vent?

How much liquid was in? if it was only a small amount you'd need to put a fair bit of gas in to create some pressure.
BB

It was between 1/2 and 2/3 full, it's leaking through the inlet, as when I whipped the bottle off, I stuck my thumb over the inlet, and the hissing stopped.
I will try to re-seat the rubber-bandy bits, and see if that helps at all, at all...

Sean

Fixed it! Idiot boy....
It wasn't the valve at all, it was the main lid o-ring - a bit of vaseline and a q-tip made a good seal, so the beer's going in this evening. Hurrah!
Thank you all for your suggestions, I'm so impressed with the support on this forum. Back to lurking, until I get brave enough to move from kits to AG...

Thanks again,

Sean

Latest posts

Back