Things I've seen when riding my bike

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the yellow cab version :thumb:

Graffiti4hire-tank.jpg

It used to get painted on a regular basis by someone or other but it has had the same (spray) paint job for ages now

You do know that's classed as 'theft: other' or 'theft by finding' did you buy something with that money? Oh well you just commited another offence by laundering the money. ie disguising your I'll gotten gains. You terrible person you! You should have handed it into the local plod office and waited for 6 weeks to claim your find ;-)

Just saying.

I disagree. My only argument being Wikipedia's entry for Theft by Finding which lists cases of money [and other objects] found on open land to be fair game. It's when you take something from a place such as a shop floor, pub, similar, where it constitues theft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft_by_finding

The other day walking back from the pub at about midnight I found a wallet on the pavement, no cash but credit cards the lot. I went miles out of my way to return that. But a solitary bank note, too much trouble.

Edited to add:

Here's a Guardian article quoting a police spokeswoman saying explicitly that there is no obligation to do anything with found cash.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/blog/2013/nov/20/finders-keepers-legal-position

"...according to the police, who say it is up to the individual what they do if they find any amount of cash ��" there is no requirement to hand over money you find, or even any other items. A spokeswoman for the Association of Chief Police Officers says: "There are no laws that I am aware of governing what you should do with a find..."

Got to admit I'm somewhat peeved. Morals and conscience we could argue about, but I don't like being called a thief.

I'm not calling you a thief, sorry for any offence. It was honestly in jest.

However, I do know of a friend who was convicted under that law. Theft-other at crown court.

So I do know that the charge is real.

Like wise, its about what's doing right, and practical, if I were you, I'd have spent it to. No offence intended honestly :-)

However, I do know of a friend who was convicted under that law. Theft-other at crown court.

Like wise, its about what's doing right, and practical, if I were you, I'd have spent it to. No offence intended honestly :-)

I read it as a leg pull too. I wouldn't have 'liked' it otherwise

This forum's about the only one I've ever been on where there's no sign of trolling or rudeness, I should have known better.

In which case I'll apologise for getting on my high horse and lets forget about it.

Ironically given the thread topic, cycling forums are absolutely thick with it. Just find the word helmet or the words sportive and audax in the same post and within minutes you'll have 50 unique posts by 50 unique users, all disagreeing with each other and all hating on whoever posted first. I long ago gave up on that.

Sportive and audax,

I have no idea what these are lol.

I cycle because it's easier through town, for fun with swmbo and a picnic in the countryside. At or near the local country pub of course ;-)

Forgotten mate. Thar be no trollin here. :-)

Ironically given the thread topic, cycling forums are absolutely thick with it. Just find the word helmet or the words sportive and audax in the same post and within minutes you'll have 50 unique posts by 50 unique users, all disagreeing with each other and all hating on whoever posted first. I long ago gave up on that.

Cycling? What's that? I just like riding my bike. :lol:

The word cycling bring up images of lycra, tour de france and (shudder) competiveness.

I often take one of my clients for a walk in Richmond park. It's quite well used and known by the cyclists of London because it's roughly circular, nice surfaced roads and nice views. But being in Richmond (one of the richest boroughs in London) you get loads of try hards wearing and riding the most expensive cycling gear known to man. It often seems to me they just go there to be seen.
I rode my bike round the park once but got bored as I find riding my bike in a circle quite tedious.

The word cycling bring up images of lycra, tour de france and (shudder) competiveness.

I often take one of my clients for a walk in Richmond park. It's quite well used and known by the cyclists of London because it's roughly circular, nice surfaced roads and nice views. But being in Richmond (one of the richest boroughs in London) you get loads of try hards wearing and riding the most expensive cycling gear known to man. It often seems to me they just go there to be seen.
I rode my bike round the park once but got bored as I find riding my bike in a circle quite tedious.

I used to play paintball obsessively, it's all pro for show.

To many times I've stalked and surprised a group of guys dressed in full American SWAT team gear with thousands of pounds of gear, and painted them in what ever colour were using that day. :-) (edit forgot to add once me and a friend were dressed as Santa clause in a woodsball game)

There was an article I'll try and find that said car drivers attitude changed towards the 'regular' guy and the 'lycra' guy.

Sportive and audax,

I have no idea what these are lol.

I cycle because it's easier through town, for fun with swmbo and a picnic in the countryside. At or near the local country pub of course ;-)

Forgotten mate. Thar be no trollin here. :-)
Massive oversimplification:

Sportive, organised rides where the goal is to complete as quickly as possible. Open to anyone. [A race but they're not allowed to call it that because racing is forbidden on UK roads]. The goal being to finish first, even though the organisers are not allowed to publish place order finish lists. Usually big and flashy, lots of replica kits and carbon.

Audax, organised rides where the goal is to simply complete distances within a specified time. Really a members [AudaxUK] only thing but they'll let you buy a day ticket. The goal being to collect rides, like trainspotting. Very homespun. lots of beards and classic British steel frames, recumbents aplenty.

I've done both, but for most cyclists it's one or the other. I currently ride a steel framed british [designed] bike.

Sportive, organised rides where the goal is to complete as quickly as possible. Open to anyone. [A race but they're not allowed to call it that because racing is forbidden on UK roads]. The goal being to finish first, even though the organisers are not allowed to publish place order finish lists. Usually big and flashy, lots of replica kits and carbon.

Audax, organised rides where the goal is to simply complete distances within a specified time. Really a members [AudaxUK] only thing but they'll let you buy a day ticket. The goal being to collect rides, like trainspotting. Very homespun. lots of beards and classic British steel frames, recumbents aplenty.

I've done both, but for most cyclists it's one or the other. I currently ride a steel framed british [designed] bike.

I like the sound of Audaux, "complete distances within a specified time." Or not in my case. Complete the distance a thats about it, sounds about right for me

I go past there on the way home. If you ever see anyone twatting it round the roundabout under the flyover by B&Q on a recumbent bike. That'll be me :D

I shall take extra care not to run you down as I take the kids to school.

Ahhh, ok.

I was going to simplify to sports direct or aldi. ;-) ;-)

So if you called it a race would that be like car cruising, or traveling in convoy? Or is it that people will try to hard and may take unnecessary risks.

I'm Just a guy who cycles to work and back to be honest.

Ahhh, ok.

I was going to simplify to sports direct or aldi. ;-) ;-)

So if you called it a race would that be like car cruising, or traveling in convoy? Or is it that people will try to hard and may take unnecessary risks.

I'm Just a guy who cycles to work and back to be honest.
Letting hundreds of people race on open roads is a dangerous thing, which is why real races always take place on closed roads, or at least where there are rolling closures.

Nigel,you are far too brainy for me,are you sure you drink the beer you make?
I must cut down ;)

We love cycling and try to get out most days; preferably in the countryside rather than the town or city.

One route we can recommend is the Bordeaux to Agde run alongside the Canal Lateral and the Canal du Midi in the south of France. Paddle in the Atlantic, hop on your bike and then paddle in the Mediterranean. Magic!

When we were 65 years old we celebrated by cycling the route and staying in B&B's at night; we did it in five days.

When we were 70 years old we did it twice. Staying each night in the motorhome meant that we had to keep coming back to the van at the end of every day! Double the distance, just that bit older and it took us NINETEEN days!

Last year we did about 90% of the Nantes to Brest Canal and this year went to do the last 10%. We managed 5% of the remainder and then had to stop because due to a general strike we didn't have enough diesel to take us to the canal and catch the ferry home! That last 5% is Plan "A" for September when we go back!

Our cycling take us somewhere around 5,000 miles each year and we see lots of "sights" but probably the most disturbing (apart from my own reflection in a shop window) is the number of nuts, bolts and bits of metal we see on the roads that have fallen off some vehicle or other! We just have to hope that they weren't critical to the safety of the vehicle!

BTW, cyclists who wear lycra are either:

1. Incredibly well endowed. or

2. Are not keen on having sore backsides and thighs. or

3. Are oblivious to what they look like. (i.e. the "No friends - No mirror" brigade.)

I fall solidly into 2. above and if it would make cycling more comfortable I would happily stick a pair of socks down the front of my shorts and pretend to be as per 1. :whistle: :whistle:

Men of a certain age or weight shouldn't wear Lycra, to be honest I don't get why your average cyclist going out for a ride needs to wear it, I guess if you are riding competitively you need it the rest for me are just Wiggins wannabes.

I like the sound of Audaux, "complete distances within a specified time." Or not in my case. Complete the distance a thats about it, sounds about right for me

Same here, I may kick myself for asking but what does Audax mean?

Men of a certain age or weight shouldn't wear Lycra, to be honest I don't get why your average cyclist going out for a ride needs to wear it, I guess if you are riding competitively you need it the rest for me are just Wiggins wannabes.

I'm of a certain age and weight and I wear genuine cycle shorts because I also ride up to 80 miles at a time; just for fun.

Did "Lap the Lough" in 2013 and at 84 miles I doubt if my backside would have coped with ordinary shorts.

http://www.lapthelough.org

PS

I don't see why I should sacrifice my comfort to protect the sensibilities of others! They don't have to look! :whistle::whistle:

Back