Goldings substitute for Bramling Cross in Pannepot recipe?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madchester7

Reaction score
I've had my ingredients delivered for the pannepot clone I have planned but I forgot to add Bramling cross to the order :doh: I have Goldings on hand and wonder if this will work. I have some other hops on hand too but apparently Goldings is closest. I can order Bramling cross for £7.49 for 200g from feeabay if I really need to. Any thoughts?

There's so much flavour and complexity in this beer that I don't think the bittering hop will add much of its own flavour, I'd happily sub goldings for bramling X. What recipe are you using btw? This is definitely on my to do list.

There's so much flavour and complexity in this beer that I don't think the bittering hop will add much of its own flavour, I'd happily sub goldings for bramling X. What recipe are you using btw? This is definitely on my to do list.

My next brew, I am doing tomorrow, is going to be something to suit a Halloween party I'm going to so some kind of dark ale with treacle and the pannepot will follow.

I've done a fair bit of research and for my first attempt I am using;

6250g Belgian Pilsner malt
750g Caramunich III
500g Special B
250g Carafa III
250g Chocolate Malt
1000g Candi sugar (dark)
250g Treacle (50g added to fermenter days 2, 4, 6, 8, 10)

50g Bramling Cross (60 min)
25g Hallertau Mittelfruh (30 min)

Spices

Yeast nutrient

Protofloc

2 x 11.5g Safbrew BE-256 abbaye yeast rehydrated

13g DWB water treatment

Going to pitch at 18oC and keep it at that temp for 48 hrs then let it rise to 24oC for 2 weeks then drop the temp down low.

Aiming for 25 litres in fermenter. 25 litres in the grainfather and sparge with 12 litres at ph 5.3.

Boil for 90 mins

Aiming for efficiency of 85% with OG 1.100 and FG 1.018 abv about 10% SRM 50ish

Does that sound about right to you? It will be my 3rd brew

Just a thought but a dark ale might struggle to ferment, carb and condition by the end of the month. If you have a keg then you might get it there just in time.

Yes I have 3 cornies and a co2 cylinder but no attachments, regulator or tubes, I really don't know what to buy and how to set them up yet.

Is that the pannepot recipe or your Halloween beer? You sure about the 85% efficiency for such a high og? For something that high I usually only get around 65% or so.

Is that the pannepot recipe or your Halloween beer? You sure about the 85% efficiency for such a high og? For something that high I usually only get around 65% or so.

Yes it's a pannepot recipe..
I'm not 100% sure about hitting 85% to be honest that's probably over ambitious. I'm hoping if I have optimum conditions, I shouldn't be far away, if I hit 75% or above it will be ok. What would you change?

The only thing I would change is the yeast, afaik Struise use T-58 yeast in this beer. Otherwise I think your recipe looks great. It'll be difficult to get the spicing right, but my advice is less is more, definitely better to use too little than too much. Good luck :thumb:

The only thing I would change is the yeast, afaik Struise use T-58 yeast in this beer. Otherwise I think your recipe looks great. It'll be difficult to get the spicing right, but my advice is less is more, definitely better to use too little than too much. Good luck :thumb:

I have 4 x abbaye yeast and 4 x T-58. I might do a split batch. Would you spice in the boil or the fermenter or both?

Latest posts

Back