The crossmyloof brewery yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watched a Banana brewing you tube on CML and he really wasn’t complimenting it.
Can you set up a vote on here for best yeasts , would be good to see who wins .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watched a Banana brewing you tube on CML and he really wasn’t complimenting it.
Can you set up a vote on here for best yeasts , would be good to see who wins .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it the Kolsch V2 one? Just tracked that down. I will say though he seemed to be expecting a lager using a Kolsch yeast. So could be he just had overly high expectations.

That said, it's not easy criticising such a popular yeast, it comes with a heavy dose of feeling like the little boy announcing to the crowd that the emperor is in the altogether..... As mentioned in that vid, they're really nice lads, and you certainly can't complain about their prices. You really do need to try some different yeasts though before you judge them. It took me trying the M36 Liberty Bell to realise how poor the results I got from CML Real Ale were. The CML Real Ale yeast I get a strange after taste tainting the beer, I don't get this with the M36 at all.

I knew straight off that the Saison De Lille had under-attenuated (Electric India clone, made with pilsen malt, that we named Saison De Quirm), BUT the beer was positively delicious! The Saison With Avec I made with M29 however was even nicer still and still is, starting out as a rather delicious tropical fruit flavoured beer thanks to the mosaic dry hop, metamorphosing into one with quite a nice grapefruit, honey and lemon flavour as the mosaic dry hop has faded and the Amarillo hops and the yeast esters and honey have become more apparent, with much better attenuation.

The wheat I did, well my wife hated it, and it took way longer than most folks reckon for the banana to come through from the CML Kristallweizen yeast. I found it absolutely delicious though, a nice light easy drinking beer. I gave some to my future son in law however, and he was very underwhelmed by it, complaining that it lacked flavour... So yeah.... He'd just tasted the Saison With Avec though, a very flavour rich beer.... lol

The US Pale Ale yeast, I haven't tried an alternative yeast yet. The beers I made with it though had a sourness in the background, and literally never cleared, no matter how long they were conditioned for. I don't really do US style (deliberately) beers though to be honest, hence I haven't tried out any alternative US yeasts.

The Belgian Ale yeast, well so far I am happy with the results. It's still very early days, but my Patersbier went from 1.046/1.047 down to 1.010 in 4 days. Thing is though, I am pretty certain that it then stopped there. That's only 77.5% attenuation, which when you look at other Belgian Ale style yeasts is rather low for the style. Again though, early tasting has been nice. No trace of the banana others report though, I ended up fermenting at 24 degrees C though and it does have pleasant hints of spice in there. So far though, it's hard telling it apart from their Kristallweizen yeast, and I can't believe that that is a good thing to be honest. I racked it to secondary though to clean up, so it may find a second lease of life... If it does go banana though, like the wheat one did after a couple of weeks in the bottle, it will be getting replaced with either M41 or maybe T58 for future Belgian brews, my wife really hates banana flavour when it's not coming from an actual banana....

I haven't tried the Kolsch yeast. I have no temperature control, so have been hesitant to try brewing one. I have a packet of the yeast in the fridge.

So yeah, I have quite a lot of CML yeasts left in the fridge that won't be getting used. At some point for example I'll probably be giving away 5 packets of Real Ale yeast, as I won't be using them.

Apart from one brew with S-04, and one with recovered Fullers yeast, CML is all I've used for the last 18 months or so. Think I might be getting a little yeast-blind. Never tried any of the MJ ones so thanks for the above Ade... I'll give some a try. But they are soooo expensive!

Apart from one brew with S-04, and one with recovered Fullers yeast, CML is all I've used for the last 18 months or so. Think I might be getting a little yeast-blind. Never tried any of the MJ ones so thanks for the above Ade... I'll give some a try. But they are soooo expensive!
I’ve gone back to MJ (Liberty Bell) and Safale (K-97) for my next 2 brews. I really liked the CML pale and Cali Common yeasts but I’m not a big fan of the real ale - not enough character.

Last edited:
I have to say that I'm a big fan of MJ yeasts. For my money, M44 is better than US-05.
Same here. I’ve had great results with every MJ yeast I’ve used, even the Abbey yeast was great despite liquid yeasts being better for that kind of flavour profile.

If they did a proper Kölsch yeast, then I definitely would be using it instead of K-97!

Youd be suprised on this,

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mangrove-J...hash=item4b354afac8:m:m1lADHNOr-ScaNoP9BX4ogw

Now this was a quick check but 2.45 for Lb and 2.60 for .WC With free postage aint too bad.
I always compare prices to wilkos notty (gervin) at 1.80 but tbh, for an extra 65-80p youre getting your money back on the quality of the beer.

Another on fleabay has 5 pkts of the liberty bell for £10.99 Inc free delivery.
Is it really that much better?

From what I've read it's a good one in the competition. Care to share a link? It's a quite interesting price, and to avoid becoming yeast-deaf...

Liberty bell is £2.40 from MaltMiller, £2.28 from The Home Brew Shop. That doesn't include shipping, but if you combine it with an order of hops and malt that ceases to be a concern.

Don't get me wrong, there may be even better dry, British style, beer yeasts out there, but I really do love the flavour I get with Liberty Bell. I was even a cheap so and so on my last brew, I re-pitched the yeast cake from a golden ale into the bitter I did, and it worked just nicely. So I got 2 brews from a £2.40 packet of yeast... Oh and the stuff ferments faster than even the CML Real Ale yeast, which is seriously saying something...

Ok I'm sold.... and some dude on ebay has just sold me two packs of Liberty Bell for £4.40 inc. postage!

Bargain! Let me know how you get on with it. So far I have used it on a pale (that started out as a golden, I probably shouldn't have used 100g of 150 EBC crystal malt though... lmao), a golden and a bitter, they've all tasted good to me. Which is a miracle, given I don't usually like bitter! lmao

Liberty bell is £2.40 from MaltMiller, £2.28 from The Home Brew Shop. That doesn't include shipping, but if you combine it with an order of hops and malt that ceases to be a concern.

Don't get me wrong, there may be even better dry, British style, beer yeasts out there, but I really do love the flavour I get with Liberty Bell. I was even a cheap so and so on my last brew, I re-pitched the yeast cake from a golden ale into the bitter I did, and it worked just nicely. So I got 2 brews from a £2.40 packet of yeast... Oh and the stuff ferments faster than even the CML Real Ale yeast, which is seriously saying something...

As far as knowing if the liberty fully attenuates in that short time i couldnt tell you, the airlock was still glugging five days later with my latest. Been three weeks in the fv. Gave it a stir wed and my lord it had frocculated like cement.
These could be the yeasts for all home brewers to rely on.

I'm having a bit of a crisis of confidence with CML yeast. I did a modified Canadian Blonde kit with the real ale yeast, which eventually came good but had a sort of yeasty sour taste for ages. I've done a Coopers IPA mini mash with the US Pale, and the same taste is there, but much less. I'm hoping it conditions out, because its otherwise great. The thing is I did my last kit I had in stock, a Coopers Ruby Porter mini mash modified into an old ale, using the MJ Liberty bell yeast, and its still in the FV, but the sample I took for measuring tasted sooooooooo good already. I'm going my first ever AG soon, a Batemans Mild from Graham Wheelers book, and part of me want to use the CML real ale yeast I have in the fridge, the other part of me says 'don't risk the yeasty sour taste' and use Liberty Bell again, as it's nerve racking enough doing my first ever full AG.

As far as knowing if the liberty fully attenuates in that short time i couldnt tell you, the airlock was still glugging five days later with my latest. Been three weeks in the fv. Gave it a stir wed and my lord it had frocculated like cement.
These could be the yeasts for all home brewers to rely on.

Probably not, as my bitter went all the way down to 1.008 after been given a full 13 days, but 1.011 after just 3 (from 1.040). I racked it to secondary though, and it was after that that it went that last bit. My notes show 79.4% attenuation for it. My golden I got 76.5% attenuation (again according to my notes), the yeast cake from this golden was used in the bitter, so I was pitching more healthy cells which would explain the higher attenuation I should think.

It has definitely been sticking to the bottles better than the CML ever did (for me anyway), that stuff likes to come out in a cloud at the slightest excuse even after months...

I'm not for one second saying that everybody should change their yeast, end of the day if you like what you get with CML then you have it absolutely made, as it is certainly a lot cheaper. Just that there are alternative dry yeasts out there. It's like SO-4, some folks love it, others hate it.

We all have different tastes, and like different flavours, so it's natural that some will like what they get with a particular yeast, others will not.

jjsh, I had to make the same decision, as I still have 5 packs of CML Reale Ale yeast in the fridge. I chose to just not use it, as I prefer what I get with the Liberty Bell. Like any yeast though, you'll find folks out there that don't like it, and those that do. I'd rather give it away and buy a yeast that'll make beer I like.

Again though, I LIKED the wheat beer I made with Kristallweizen, but won't do it again as my wife hated the banana esters (so T58 maybe, or a Saison yeast, or a totally neutral yeast, if I do another wheat beer). Also, touch wood, the Patersbier I made with Belgian Ale is looking good so far, although seriously cloudy as all get go... lol It's only been going 6 days though, so that can be forgiven easily. I've read that it gives banana esters again though, so if it does it'll also go on the nope list. Hoping that with me fermenting it warmer it might give more spice instead of banana....

Latest posts

Back