Using up some ingredients

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have a load of Olicana and some malts left over. I've not used Olicana before but have some in a pale ale fermenting away. Have no idea what it tastes like, am thinking of making a hoppy red ale as I haven't made one in years now.

25L batch
Grainfather

3.5kg pale malt
1kg toasted malt
200g munich
150g dark cara

17g Herkules @ 60 min
25g Olicana @ FO
25g Olicana @ Dry Hop

WLP005 English ale

Thoughts? Would you do something completely different?

Olicana hops I've never used but the description I like.
"Flavour and Aroma

Tropical fruit flavours and aromas, including mango, grapefruit, and passionfruit"

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

I'd be very interested to hear wht you think of the Olicana, as I'm thinking of using some in an upcoming brew. I'd imagine they are subtle compared to the New World hops with similar desciptors, like other new Eglish varieties..

I'd be very interested to hear wht you think of the Olicana, as I'm thinking of using some in an upcoming brew. I'd imagine they are subtle compared to the New World hops with similar desciptors, like other new Eglish varieties..

They do have a good write up, but they also have a damning review on BrewUK which basically calls them a sh*tty fuggles. I'm really interested to see for myself.

I'd image it will be like Jester. This has a write up like a "C" hop but tastes very earthy.

They do have a good write up, but they also have a damning review on BrewUK which basically calls them a sh*tty fuggles. I'm really interested to see for myself.

I'd image it will be like Jester. This has a write up like a "C" hop but tastes very earthy.

How did the olicana turn out? Did it have any of the tropical fruit mentioned in the description?
Gonna use some in a hoppy bitter with some Ernerst next weekend

How did the olicana turn out? Did it have any of the tropical fruit mentioned in the description?
Gonna use some in a hoppy bitter with some Ernerst next weekend

Honestly I'm not sure :-?. I've tried a couple of bottles are there is a tropical fruit flavour coming through from the Pacific hops, but there is a very earthy taste as well, almost like someone took a scoop of the forest floor and dunked it in my beer. However, I'm using a yeast I never have tried before which has screwed me over.

This batch turned out bad. The gravity read 1.020 for a while, a little high for a kolsch but nonetheless seemed stable. So I decided to bottle it and the ******* little yeasts decided to spring back to life in the bottle. Every one I opened went off with a bang and sprayed beer everywhere. Very difficult to get the beer from the bottle into the glass. I'm also worried the bottles might start exploding soon so I have to empty them.

the earthy flavour might be from the Olicana hops, might be from the gratuitous amount of yeast now in the bottle, might be from one of the other hops. I Think I have some left so should do another brew with them.

Latest posts

Back