Dneipa

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobiasbeecher

IPA King
Reaction score
Morning All,

Now that I am having more success with NEIPA, I was considering trying a double version of it.

First question: My NEIPA comes out around 4.5%. 60% higher would give me 7.2% so is it a simple case of upping my grain bill by 60%, or should I actually be adding corn sugar as a fermentable instead?

Second question: DIPA are generally more bitter than single IPA. More hops in the boil. I guess I don't want to do that for an NEIPA as it is a low bitterness brew, so how do I combat the addition of more grain in the malt bill? I dont want to end up with an overly malty brew. Just an amplified NEIPA, maybe slightly thicker / sweeter like a double would give.

Thoughts welcome! I will probably brew it onto my current NEIPA yeast cake, in just over a week.

Thanks

Maybe an over simplified solution, but if I was upping the grain by 60% then I'd do the same with the hops.

Yes a little too simple, doesn't work out quite like that, the higher the wort gravity the lower the hop utilisation. It may be something you will have to play around with.

Mine went in the post to you and steve last night, 8.5% hope that's strong enough for you pal. Should be carbed by now chill it down when you get it and drink fresh. I forgot to put a note in with it but here's the recipe I went with. I'm no expert but i rather like it

Screenshot_20170803-110158.jpg

Screenshot_20170803-110208.jpg

DSC_0617.jpg

Ah I hadn't realised yours was a double NE! Excellent. Mine is currently still fermenting, will do the first dry hop today.

Maybe I will take your recipe and go from there, thanks.

Mine went in the post to you and steve last night, 8.5% hope that's strong enough for you pal. Should be carbed by now chill it down when you get it and drink fresh. I forgot to put a note in with it but here's the recipe I went with. I'm no expert but i rather like it

I cracked this open last night, great brew! Certainly masked that 8.5% well. Really smooth.

I will use your recipe as a base for this weekends brew - the only thing I will do is add a touch more to the dry hop.

PM me your address, I will be bottling the current single NEIPA this weekend :)

I cracked this open last night, great brew! Certainly masked that 8.5% well. Really smooth.

I will use your recipe as a base for this weekends brew - the only thing I will do is add a touch more to the dry hop.

PM me your address, I will be bottling the current single NEIPA this weekend :)
Glad you liked it pal, I thought I went over the top with the dry hops prepare for a big loss of volume I ended up with about 19L after all the hops settled out.
Pm on its way to you.

Chucked in half at high krausen (two days in) then rest when fermentation almost finished for 4days then crashed for two days

Back