Fruity beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_rawdin

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm going to very making a strawberry beer, something similar to Timmermans, and will be adding defrosted frozen strawberries into secondary. I'm going to be leaving it in secondary for a week, will the strawberries be OK for a week or should I add them in closer to the end of secondary?

Ideally for a fruit beer the fruit should be added just as primary fermentation begins to slow, at that point rack onto the fruit in the secondary. This will kick off fermentation again so just leave it until complete. One thing to bear in mind is that adding fruit tends to thin and dry out a beer so mashing a little higher than usual is a good idea. Also people often expect a fruit beer to be sweet, but the sugars in the fruit will ferment out leaving the sourness behind which sometimes catches people by surprise, so something else to keep in mind.

Ideally for a fruit beer the fruit should be added just as primary fermentation begins to slow, at that point rack onto the fruit in the secondary. This will kick off fermentation again so just leave it until complete. One thing to bear in mind is that adding fruit tends to thin and dry out a beer so mashing a little higher than usual is a good idea. Also people often expect a fruit beer to be sweet, but the sugars in the fruit will ferment out leaving the sourness behind which sometimes catches people by surprise, so something else to keep in mind.

Teach me your ways o great 1 !

Back