Klarstein Beer Dispensers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is interesting as i have only ever bottled, and have to say bottling ( and santising) is not something i enjoy. so instead of bottling 34 bottles, i could maybe fill and prime 3 mini kegs.

you still have to prime with sugar but this system not only cools the beer but will also keep it fresh? So a mini keg could last a couple of weeks if need be? ( unlikely but good to know)

have i got that right?

EDIT : and you would use it with something like this?
https://www.brewuk.co.uk/easy-keg.html

this is interesting as i have only ever bottled, and have to say bottling ( and santising) is not something i enjoy. so instead of bottling 34 bottles, i could maybe fill and prime 3 mini kegs.

you still have to prime with sugar but this system not only cools the beer but will also keep it fresh? So a mini keg could last a couple of weeks if need be? ( unlikely but good to know)

have i got that right?

It will.
If you have room for a keg in a fridge you can buy a party star tap which does all if the above apart from cooling and they only cost £40.

Kegging is much easier but I prefer the beer from a bottle

ok thanks Leon

so what the main difference in the final product then? ie why do prefer the bottled?

So after learning about these (mini kegs) for first time today I've spent all evening on Google. A couple of questions then-

Most of disucussion seems to be about 6 or 7 years ago on forums, so not sure how things have changed.

The Thing that stood out was carbonation limitations, no specifics but I am wondering what the carb by volume limits are? Can you get 2.2 or 2.6 volumes? Heard tell of keg bombs!

Anything else I should be aware of?

ok thanks Leon

so what the main difference in the final product then? ie why do prefer the bottled?

That's an hard one really. I mostly drink Ales and with bottles I can get the carbonation spot on. Mini kegs have been a bit hit and miss and I am not sure if that is my setup or just the kegs. I think they are more suited to dark beers with lower carbonation. I will continue to use them because they are so easy and I guess they do hold hop aroma well.

I only brew ales at the moment too, as my prefered drink, mostly IPAs but I do like them reasonably well carbonated, so something to think about.

That's an hard one really. I mostly drink Ales and with bottles I can get the carbonation spot on. Mini kegs have been a bit hit and miss and I am not sure if that is my setup or just the kegs. I think they are more suited to dark beers with lower carbonation. I will continue to use them because they are so easy and I guess they do hold hop aroma well.

I disagree. I found the carbonation low when I used the Party Star but since switching to my Klarstein dispenser I've seen a massive difference. It must be the proper temperature control.

I disagree. I found the carbonation low when I used the Party Star but since switching to my Klarstein dispenser I've seen a massive difference. It must be the proper temperature control.

Mine life in a fridge. I find that if I prime anything above 16g per keg then it doesn't dispense correctly and I have to use the bottom tap for a few pints before inserting the PSD. 16g doesn't give me what I am looking for

I'm very tempted by one of these at the discounted price. I've managed in the past to serve my mini kegs from the fridge, but I have to be a little creative to get the tap in and it takes up a disproportionate amount of space. The full price is pretty steep, but at 50% off...........

Does anyone know the maximum carbonation by volume it can handle? Very tempted to get one.

I'm very tempted by one of these at the discounted price. I've managed in the past to serve my mini kegs from the fridge, but I have to be a little creative to get the tap in and it takes up a disproportionate amount of space. The full price is pretty steep, but at 50% off...........

I think they may have increased the price to drop it again, hence the big savings shown.

Still haven't decided, although I am now leaning towards a Corny Keg Setup at the moment. Am sure it'll change again when the wind changes!

I think they may have increased the price to drop it again, hence the big savings shown.

Grr, and I would have fallen for it too! Thanks for the head up. Well at least that means I can keep thinking about it, safe in the knowledge that I should be able to get it around that price.

whether its a "DFS" type sale price or not, still looks good value to me- looks good sitting out, digital temp control and by the the sounds of it, at least one satisfied customer. if i get mini kegs i will defo get this. Only thing holding me back is carbing levels, if mini kegs can do, even 2.4 Vols i'd be happy. Cant find any data though, sifting through forums etc! .....anyone?

Grr, and I would have fallen for it too! Thanks for the head up. Well at least that means I can keep thinking about it, safe in the knowledge that I should be able to get it around that price.

I paid about £140 back in May.

People say 20g per keg max. Not sure what that is in volumes.

Loads of people on a pub shed group I am on use them and like them. I think the general census is there are usually priced £130-140

Thanks, I think I'm going to bear it in mind as Christmas comes around but leave it for now.

In terms of priming a keg versus bottles, BeerSmith mobile has an option for priming sugar in a keg, which will be a corny I assume, don't know how mini kegs would vary. But assuming they are the same, about 17g per 5L is 2.5 vols in a keg versus 33g per 5L for 2.5 vols bottling. No idea how the science behind that works I'm afraid.

Edit - thought some more and I wonder if the science is something to do with the ratio of volume to surface area which may have an effect on gas going into solution versus clinging to the side, but this may be nonsense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People say 20g per keg max. Not sure what that is in volumes.

Loads of people on a pub shed group I am on use them and like them. I think the general census is there are usually priced £130-140

After I posted this someone posted that their are on their 3rd one because they keep breaking. Others saying the same and mention of them making kegs bulge????

Back