Chocloate goes POP

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Litmus

Reaction score
Hi All,

So, I wanted to share an interesting taste test I did. Below are two IPA I brewed. I love to do my taste test in whiskey drams :)

IMG_3950-1024x768.jpg

Same water treatment same mash profile etc.

This is the recipe:
Screen-Shot-2017-08-11-at-14.08.44.png

Altering only the crystal malt and pale rye malt in for the Choc malt and barley (same quantities) for the more conventional IPA.

Both ales on their own and great to drink with the lighter IPA coming up a little dryer and BIPA lovely and smooth mouth feel.

Not a very interesting story so far but useful back ground. The crazy bit is I had 50 50 left in two glasses so I decided to combine them and see what it brought to the party. On first taste very nice, good mouth feel the dryness was balanced better, but the big surprise was the finish, it popped a lovely chocolate flavor not present in ether of the other two ales!

I was wondering what everyone thoughts on this are? My feeling is it must be coming through from the pale malt rye in addition to the dark malts in the BIPA?

I fore sure see another brew coming on to test this theory.

opps I thought I was in the recipe section, could an Admin move please?

I would say that your 6% dark in the BIPA will be toasty, but when diluted to 3% in the blend will lose some roastiness and bite. The crystal may add a little sweetness. Much in the same way as lowering the cocoa solids in chocolate, makes milk chocolate more palatable and dare I say, chocolatey.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Back