Late hop additions - no effect on IBU?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlatFenBrew

Reaction score
Hi
Am I right in assuming that late hop additions i.e. those added at turn off do not get added to IBU calculations?
Reason I am asking is that I am modifying a recipe to reduce original gravity by reducing grain bill by 25%. I plan to reduce hop quantities at the start and during the boil but as my original recipe says zero IBU for the late hops my plan is to use the same weight of late hop additions.
Grateful for advice. Thanks.

From recent experience I just did a NEIPA with no additions until 80°steep/whirlpool 60grams mosaic 60grams Citra and gave me to much bitterness for the style. Still bloody lovely though.

A short answer is yes, but on the other hand you will never know because there are so many factors in estimating the ibu, length and how vigorous the boil is, how fresh are the hops and as mentioned above, time taken to cool the wort.
I would be more worried about the outcome of that NEIPA.

A short answer is yes, but on the other hand you will never know because there are so many factors in estimating the ibu, length and how vigorous the boil is, how fresh are the hops and as mentioned above, time taken to cool the wort.
I would be more worried about the outcome of that NEIPA.

Why would you be worried foxy?

You shouldn't be getting so much bitterness from late hop additions, I would be worried that what is being perceived as bitterness is astringency. Something I have mentioned now in two posts, people will think I am becoming paranoid about it. Its easy enough to mix up bitterness with astringency, I have read where even judges can'distinguish between the two, for some it can be really unpleasant where as some may like that bitter mouthfeel on the back of the tongue.
Just a thought wich came to mind when I read your late hop additions and the bitterness you got.

You shouldn't be getting so much bitterness from late hop additions, I would be worried that what is being perceived as bitterness is astringency. Something I have mentioned now in two posts, people will think I am becoming paranoid about it. Its easy enough to mix up bitterness with astringency, I have read where even judges can'distinguish between the two, for some it can be really unpleasant where as some may like that bitter mouthfeel on the back of the tongue.
Just a thought wich came to mind when I read your late hop additions and the bitterness you got.

I here what your saying foxy but I'm pretty sure it's not astringency I'm getting its not a dry thirsty feeling if that is what astringency is, I'd be up for sending you a bottle if you fancy a swap

Thanks, I would love to try it, but unfortunately I am in Australia, ex Rams supporter though, still am but a very frustrated one. To be honest when I was getting beers with some astringency I did quite like the lingering aftertaste.
Hops are a culprit for tannins more so than grain as with pH. Are there any brew clubs close by, I know there are plenty of craft brewers in Derbyshire you could try taking a bottle to one of them. I could be wrong just looking at what you did and saying it became really bitter made me think astringency.

Ah that's a shame pal. God knows what it would cost to send a bottle to Oz, I go to Manchester homebrew club mosr months but never had astringency mentioned in any if my beers, I'll be taking one next Sunday so I will see what the lads think then. I sent one of to strange Steve if you look at his reviews thread and he also mentioned the bitterness but was still well impressed overall.

As I say I could be wrong, your bitterness could have come from you first additions, just it sounded like it came from your final additions, the IBU's will go up but very little from those final additions. As long as you're enjoying it that's all that matters.

Back