2011 Rhubelder

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrighty

Reaction score
Hi All,

Started my first batch today since getting back into this hobby and thought I'd share my escapades.

I've attempted to make a rhubarb and elderflower wine (hence the name) with the following recipe:

2kg Rhubarb
1kg Sugar
2 tsp Pectolase
1tsp yeast & nutriuent
2 tsp Elderflower
Sterilised/ Clean Glassware

The rhubarb was washed and cut up before being frozen for 24 hours.
The rhubarb was then allowed to defrost and the juice collected into a 1 gallon vessell (Allow 48 hours).
This produced around 1.5 litres of juice so 2.5 litres of water was added to bring the volume upto 4 litres.
The pectolase, yeast & nutrients were added as per packet instructions.
Record the SG (in this case 1.18)
Leave to do its thing.

Once I start racking and get to the elderflower stage I'll update the recipe.

Feedback/ opinions welcome.

Steve

Hi. Sounds interesting. Be interested to see how it comes out. Where d'you get your elderflower from? Bit earlyer in the year by my book? Bang on for Rhubarb, I think we've got a glut in the post, so trying to find a good Rhubarb wine recipe for the weekend. Best of luck with the brew.

yes it is a bit early for the elderflower but i'm hoping ot stick the elderflower in at the end of racking before bottling so by that time there should be some about - if all else fails i've picked up a pack from the local HBS (made by Youngs i think) but i would prefer to trial out this batch with some fresh flowers.

Cheers

Steve

Latest posts

Back