1.5 kilos of limes?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super-Pleb

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the homebrew thing but have a fiery ginger beer and a WOW burbling away in demijohns at the moment as my first projects. I've just been donated 1.5 kilos of chopped limes (no rind) and I was wondering whether there were any recipe suggestions for these?

I'mm not sure if they are in any preservatives as they were sent as a sample ingredient for a pickling company so I suspect I'll need to boil them at some point to drive off any potential preservatives just in case??

All suggestions welcome. I have considered a mojito party already though!

Ended up using this recipe:

About 10 large limes...chopped, no peel (that's what I had. No idea what it's like with the peel incl.)
20g grated ginger
300g sugar
zest of one orange
pinch of cream of tartar
1 scant tsp glycerine
1 tsp white wine yeast
½ tsp yeast nutrient

Simmer limes, sugar, ginger and orange zest for 15-20 mins. Strain and cool. Add to demijohn and top up to shoulder with cold water. Add glycerine, cream of tartar, yeast nutrient and yeast. Shake demijohn to mix. Before bottling, back sweeten with 130g of lactose dissolved into a syrup.

OG - 1030 FG - 1002

End result?
Something akin to bitter lemon (but you know bitter lime...) but drinkable all in all. In hindsight I wonder if the orange zest is adding to the bitterness but over ice, it's a refreshing drink and is getting put away for summer! Too bitter to make in bulk quantities though.

limenade.jpg

Back